Flat battery

Last week we found our car battery had gone flat apparently overnight. We towed the car to get it started (it's diesel so difficult to bump start by pushing). After a bit of a run it seemed to be charged up OK and was fine for about a week, then yesterday it did it again. That time we weren't in a hurry so we took the battery out and put it on charge for an hour, which was enough to start it again. It went OK today.

On both times it had been on a shortish shopping trip type run the evening before. The first one was shorter, but I don't think the lights were used, while the second time I used sidelights on the way out and full dipped on the way back.

ISTR we replaced the battery two Christmases ago, so I wouldn't have thought it should have packed up this soon. And if it were the alternator, surely just going for a drive on the first occasion wouldn't have been enough to keep it going for nearly a week. We've put a multimeter in series with it with everything switched off; it read about

0.02A which I guess is fair enough for things like the clock.

Any thoughts?

Reply to
Tony Houghton

Tony Houghton ( snipped-for-privacy@realh.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Have you checked to see if it IS charging?

Put the voltmeter across the battery terminals - you should be seeing somewhere around 13 volts at idle and 14-15 at anything above about

1500rpm.
Reply to
Adrian

It's possible the one you bought could have been sitting on a shelf for long periods sulphating away without being maintained.

Reply to
redwood

: That time : we weren't in a hurry so we took the battery out and put it on charge : for an hour, which was enough to start it again. It went OK today.

Car batteries can appear to be flat when they are not, as a result of a continuous small drain. Something builds up on the plates (I am not a chemist, thank god, so "something" it is) which stops it working properly. A short charge, which reverses the current, is enough to knock of the crap and resume full vitality. That's why leaving lights on for just an hour or two can appear to flatten the battery, which is fine after a very short charge.

So ... I'd be looking for a small but significant current drain when the car is nominally off. It might be as trivial as a boot light coming on: I had a Beetle which could do this to a battery if the radio was left on overnight!

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

redwood ( snipped-for-privacy@nooos.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

No, I didn't.

Reply to
Adrian

Ian Johnston wrote: >

Can that happen to any car battery or does it only tend to affect ones that are in bad condition?

I don't think the 0.02A we measured would be significant? Funnily enough I did check the boot light (luckily the rear seats fold forwards) because my dad remembered a case years ago with a colleague's car that wouldn't start on Monday mornings.

Reply to
Tony Houghton

: Ian Johnston wrote: : >

: > Car batteries can appear to be flat when they are not, as a result of : > a continuous small drain. Something builds up on the plates (I am not : > a chemist, thank god, so "something" it is) which stops it working : > properly. A short charge, which reverses the current, is enough to : > knock of the crap and resume full vitality. That's why leaving lights : > on for just an hour or two can appear to flatten the battery, which is : > fine after a very short charge. : : Can that happen to any car battery or does it only tend to affect ones : that are in bad condition?

Any one, as far as I know and in my experience.

: > So ... I'd be looking for a small but significant current drain when : > the car is nominally off. It might be as trivial as a boot light : > coming on: I had a Beetle which could do this to a battery if the : > radio was left on overnight! : : I don't think the 0.02A we measured would be significant? Funnily enough : I did check the boot light (luckily the rear seats fold forwards) : because my dad remembered a case years ago with a colleague's car that : wouldn't start on Monday mornings.

That's probably not enough - but you have an intermittent problem, as I understand it, which probably means an intermittent fault.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

I really wouldn't rule the battery out yet. Test that the battery is being charged when the engine's running - if it seems to be then I (personally) would replace the battery without hesitation, seeing as the quiescent current is negligible.

Hmmm, just noticed the car's a diesel - need a healthy battery to crank the high compression on the engine. Out of interest, car model, engine size and battery manufacturer and capacity?

Reply to
Mike Dodd

Mike Dodd wrote: >

Yes; that would probably be the first thing to try replacing if we can't find any other fault.

It's a Rover 420Di (2.0 turbo direct injection). The battery is a Pavilion 75AH. I suspect low price was the main thing in its favour.

Reply to
Tony Houghton

Ok sounds like the battery IS being charged or driving it would not have restored it.

Check/adjust or disconnect the boot/tailgate switch & light. Perhaps light stays on when the boot is shut sometimes. You mentioned shopping.

Perhaps you can pull the fuse on all the interior lights to see if that fixes the problem.

Reply to
CWatters