Flat spot in 3rd on MkIV Golf

Recently my Golf (2002 1.4l MkIV) seems to have developed a bit of a judder/flat spot in third gear.

I'm not too familiar with these things so I hope I'm using the right term, basically you put your foot down, it picks up, and sometimes just seems to stutter/judder for a split second and then goes again.

I'm not mechanical, is there anything I can do myself? Any suggestions on what might be causing?

cheers, Paul

Reply to
Paul Hutchings

Does it only happen in third gear? What engine speed does it happen?

Check for debris caught in the wheelarch?

Does the car have a fault light showing? What's the mileage and service history? It could be all sorts of things, it might be something electrical (sparkies, ignition leads), it might be a sensor occasionally playing up. If you have a fault code reader that might help.

Otherwise, it's garage or dealership time.

Reply to
DervMan

1.4 Mk4 Golf? It's normal to have one big flat spot from idle, all the way up to the redline.

HTH :-)

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Yes, thanks for reminding me ;-)

Paul

Reply to
Paul Hutchings

Pretty much only in third and at around 30-35mph. No lights or anything like that. 40k miles, full dealer service history. I was interested in knowing if that sort of thing usually points to "Problem X" but it sounds like it could be X, Y or Z so I might ask around at work (work at MIRA) or try the local independent where I stand more chance of talking to a mechanic than at the dealers.

cheers, Paul

Reply to
Paul Hutchings

Aye you could. But in the absence of plugging it into a diagnostics machine, it could be a bit like going into a nightclub and asking for a girl. You don't know what you'll end up with.

Reply to
DervMan

Could be the infamous MAF sensor. Of course, it could be a lot of things :-/

Reply to
Chris Bartram

I had something simillar, turned out to be the throtle body. Might just need cleaned out! Mine was at just above 2000 revs.

Reply to
Steve