Flat spot in rev range since new alternator fitted

Hi

Last week I had to have a new alternator fitted (last one was overcharging - battery charge warning light came on above 2000rpm and had two sets of headlamp bulbs blow in a week).

It may be a coincidence but since the new alternator was put in Ive noticed a flat spot duirng acceleration.

As I get to around 4000rpm theres a moment of hesitancy - the acceleration flattens and then I feel a lurch as it picks up again.

Its very brief (but nevertheless noticeable and irritating) and the car has never done it before.

Is it possible the new alternator could cause this? Or is it a sign of damage to other components caused by the overcharging of the previous one?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

The car is a '94 Mazda 323F V6 2.0

Cheers.

Ian