Focus 1.6 2001 (51 plate)

Hi all,

A friend recently bought a Focus and was told by an HPI inspection that it was a class C write-off. Person she bought it off had just got it in an auction and sold it on.

She called the previous owner who said that the car ran fine, but occasionally would go into limp home mode. So, she took it to the main dealer for fault readouts. They said that their computer was not talking to the ECU and after agreeing to an inspection they said that the wiring to the dash for the readout was missing. (=A3500 for the inspection I think she said).

They also said that the only thing that they could find wrong is that the thermostat was not working so replaced it (=A3240).

These costs to me seem way off. So I'd like to gauge opinion in case she is being screwed over. I would expect that the inspection to why the ECU was not reporting to their computer would not warrant =A3500 and that a replacement thermostat should not be more than =A360 inc labour.

Another thing is that I wondered if perhaps the ECU fault connection is via the 3-pin plug as per Mk1 Mondeo rather than the connection they expected under the dash. But surely they would know?

I've no experience of the Focus so cannot help her out too much.

Any comments?

Cheers, Mark

Reply to
marpate1

That's time, did they fix it?

You need to look at the invoice.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

the focus connection for the ecu is only ever in the bottom of the dash just above the pedals . perhaps they mean replacing the wiring loom at 500 quid.

changing the thermostat is a 0.9 hour job, so a main dealer might charge 90 quid labour plus the thermostat (guessing at sub 25 quid)

Reply to
Mrcheerful

No, they didn't fix it. I'm not yet sure why - it would make sense to get it working some time in the future.

Agreed - I will take a look when she gets it.

Thanks, Mark

Reply to
marpate1

Ouch. I'm not sure where the 500 fits in yet. Perhaps the whole lot was 500 in which case it becomes a lot more reasonable I guess.

OK - this is what I would have expected. I guess that if we add in the "diagnosis" and antifreeze we may not be too far off the mark.

Cheers, Mark

Reply to
marpate1