Focus 1.8 pollen filter fiasco

This is the first year I have had the focus 1.8 2004 petrol. I though I wou= ld service it.

First issue is the pollen filter cover. After I removed it I changed the fi= lter bought 2 new clips and the foam seal strip.=20

Cleaned the glass and plastic up and on it went. Made a good seal 1 day lat= er the right hand side in between the clips area.had come away. Upon furthe= r inspection the rubber side has stayed on but the glue on the other side h= as come off the strip and stayed on the window.=20

I bought a new strip and it did the same. I asked a ford tech to look and h= e said the cover us warped. On that part hence why its pulled off the glue.= He suggest either liberally applying silicone sealant and putting a weight= on it over as this would seal and hold it down. Or buy a new cover at =A36=

8 + seal and clips if they break removing old ones. Seem scarily high for a= piece of plastic.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has encounted this problem and how to ove= r come it with out replacing it.=20

Amazingly with all this wet weather it has not leaked in the car.

He put some black waterproof gaffer tape on fore till I figure it out.

Be very glad if any advice on how to solve that.=20

Also in the chambers where the spark plugs live its all water damaged? With= a brownish colour surface but bone dry. I see no obvious leaks must be rai= n getting in ?

I put a smear of servicol grease on the threads of the plugs as they were s= tiff coming out probably from being soaked.=20

Lol other than that all went well with the service.

Reply to
focusowneruk

Did you price that up at a dealer? They used to be £25, although Ford parts prices have risen dramatically.

If the cover is warped, there's no way you will get a seal.

I've never heard of it happening, but I do know that the cover and class have to be cleaned with a solvent for the seal to adhere. I use Isopropanol.

Water in the cylinder head recess is usually caused by a leak in the screen wash plumbing, but is more common in the 1.6. That should be the first thing to check however.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Thats what the parts guys said it was just =A325 I thought great he went to= check and its now =A368 with the vat! ouch. I did call another local deale= r and he said it was =A348 with vat which bothered me ? why the difference = albeit 8 more miles to drive. I thought ford prices were going to be cheape= r than vw which I moved from a mk4 golf. Which in comparison was a cheaper = car to run not as nice a car imho.

I used white spirit to clean oth window and on the plasctic. Althouh adhesi= ons was not the problem as the adhesive strip did stick to both the plastic= and window but ripped from the sponge part on the window sied of it.

What I managed to do this evening was pack some silicone in the warped part= gently prying it up and weighted it down and will check on it in the morni= ng. I'm hoping the silicone will bond nicely like glue as it were and form = a nice waterproof seal. If not I'll bite the bullit and pick up a new cover= , seal and clips and never touch it again hehe.

The ford tech said they don't remove the cover they unclip the three clips = on the engine bay side and do it by feel and that way the clips are in tact= and the seal is not bothered. But when I took mine off the seal was shagge= d and probably close to the end of its life and eventually would have leake= d. But I see why ford don't want to touch it lol. Imagine it happened on al= l the serviced cars and they have to tell everyone its going to cost =A368 =

  • odds and ends to fix.

Thanks for the post Chris, fingers crossed its seals up overnight if it sod= ding stops raining the moisture in the air won't help drying time.

I'll investigate the washer pipes.

Reply to
focusowneruk

White spirit doesn't dry totally clean, unlike acetone or IPA, or even meths.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon