Focus 2004 rear washer motor location ?

Focus LX 1.8 diesel 2004.

Where is the rear screen washer motor?

The rear washer motor is noisy with no water coming out. Washer bottle is full. Nozzle pricked with a needle doesn't seem blocked.

Suspect either pipe disconnected from washer motor or motor needs replacing.

Front washer fine.

Thanks

Reply to
Alt Beer

If it is the pump (rare) and not the nozzle or a kinked or broken pipe :the same pump does front and rear, they have a little valve that alters which end the water goes to, sometimes they can be fixed, usually you just stick a new one on. located in the washer bottle and access gained from underneath.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Focus LX 1.8 diesel 2004.

Where is the rear screen washer motor?

The rear washer motor is noisy with no water coming out. Washer bottle is full. Nozzle pricked with a needle doesn't seem blocked.

Suspect either pipe disconnected from washer motor or motor needs replacing.

Front washer fine.

Thanks

My Focus' filter etc was gummed up with a horrible slime which I successfully cleaned out. (I took the complete tank out of the front wing)

As Mrcheerful says, there is only the one pump that runs both forwards and backwards, sending water via valves to either front or back.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

That's why you put screenwash in it. It stops the bacteria growing all year round as well as preventing freezing in the winter.

Reply to
rp

I have found that the ones that build up slime the worst are when owners have put washing up liquid in, quite why I don't know, but it is really horrible, like ectoplasm from Ghostbusters.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I have found that the ones that build up slime the worst are when owners have put washing up liquid in, quite why I don't know, but it is really horrible, like ectoplasm from Ghostbusters.

That sounds like mine.

Wasn't me guv, honest.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

I once dismantled one on a Ka, and I assume yours would be similar. Seems like if they spin one way, the valves send the water to the front, and if you reverse the power, they spin the other, and the water goes to the back.

I had to completely remove my Fiesta one from the tailgate to unblock it. The slime was well backed-up in the pipe, and a needle was nowhere near long enough, and too straight to negotiate the bends. The pump becomes noisier because it's 'working harder', you might say.

Reply to
Dis Manibus

I just opened the hatchback and got someone to operate the rear washer.

Water gushed out of a plastic moulding near to the boot interior light to the left side of the boot.

Is there rear washer pump or a maybe there is a disconnected pipe joint or damaged pipe?

Operating the rear washer the pump motor sounds rough but operating the front washer the pump sounds normal. Water was flowing even though it was into the boot so I dont know why the rear washer sounds rough running?

Thanks

Reply to
Alt Beer

As others have said, there is only one motor for front and rear. The motor runs in one direction for one screen, and the opposite rotation for the other screen. Non-return valves control the flow.

The pipe to the rear screen has broken; most likely this is at the hinge area. You will need to remove trim in that area to find exactly where.

The reason the pump sound is different is because it's pumping against the restriction of the jets when using the front, and is pumping to no restriction at the moment when using the rear.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

the pipe for mine was damaged at the hinge area, water would then run across the inside and fall out wherever it can. Peel back the rubbery concertina that holds all the wiring and the pipe and the answer will probably be obvious, I trimmed the pipe square and added an inline connector from a car shop. YMMV . once you have proper flow restriction the motor will sound fine again

Reply to
Mrcheerful

The pipe connector in the roof lining just beyond the concertina had separated. Reconnected and now working fine.

Thank you.

Reply to
Alt Beer

brilliant.