Focus alternator to battery output

Just curious seeing as there's no ammeter on my Focus what's the maximum charge rate the alternator will chuck at a flattish battery so I can calculate the likely recharge time/distance.

Normally it's not recommended to use more than about 10% of the Ah rating so

5 amps in my case but maybe the smart charge system built in goes beyond that.
Reply to
Dave Baker

Ford use a technology called 'Smart Charge' that takes into account a number of different parameters such as under-bonnet temperature. (A cold battery can take a much higher charge than a warm one.) The charge rate is subject to change frequently, even with a given battery load, engine speed, and initial state of charge.

It would therefore be pretty much impossible to calculate recharge time because there are so many variables.

It's also the reason jump-starting with these systems can be a problem; the voltage can go as high as 18!

There's lots of info on the 'net regarding Smart Charge if you need to know more.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I have a feeling that the alt's on petrol engined with a/c are 100amp.

As Chris said, the S/Charge system will run up to nearly 18v when the battery is very cold.

Reply to
Tim..

I *think* my 2003 1.6 petrol auto with HFS and A/C only had a 60 Amp alternator.

David

Reply to
David