Focus Belt Squeek

Hi All

Just picked up a 2001 1.6 Zetec Focus (Pre Facelift) for the wife - car drives lovely but there is a squeek from the area of the aux belt which is a bit annoying. It goes if you put your foot down and comes back at idle.

Is this a belt change or is there a tensioner that needs doing?

MattF

Reply to
MattF

I had one (03) doing this very recently, I thought it would be the belt, but spraying the belt made no difference, it turned out to be the water pump seal squeaking. quite a lot of dismantling to change it. So first step is spray the belt (water will do, belt spray preferably) that should isolate it a little

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Given the area a blast with WD40 - that seems to have quitened things down.

MattF

Reply to
MattF

then it is almost cetainly the belt

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I've often wondered why people suggest WD40 on a belt as a solution. Surely, it'll make it slip easier and make it quieter - but for all you know the belt could be completely stationary being lubricated with the WD40... Extreme and probably unlikely I admit...

My aux belt is squeaking a bit - particularly in the cold weather (when pulling away in possibly a too high a gear or with all the heated screens, lights etc) - but occasionally in warm like yesterday.

It happened shortly after the dealer took the head off to replace a snapped plug (covered under warranty, so no cost to me) - but I never got round to taking it back.

Is it likely to be a new belt job, or just tighten the existing one? The belt looks quite new/good condition for a 3+ year old car - so I wonder if they replaced it then. I don't have any workshop manuals for the Focus Mk2 to know how it's adjusted. Someone (on here?) suggested that the belts are stretched to fit onto the pulleys etc, and they may have re-used the belt and it may be too stretched now?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

David

Reply to
David Hearn

They don't, it's a diagnostic, if it stops squeaking then you know it was the fault.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Heh - well I've certainly heard people say that the WD40 solved the problem as the squeaking went away... maybe not on here, but certainly in real life!

Thanks for the clarification though!

David Hearn

I didn't recommend wd40, I would spray with belt spray, but I suggested water.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

The belt is tensioned with a spring loaded pulley, if the belt is the right one it will be within adjustment range.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

It solves the problem for a short while, im my case i will get the belt done at the next service.

MattF

Reply to
MattF