Focus Engine Warning Light

Ford Focus 1.6 XL 04 Mk1 The engine warning light came on but no effect on performance noticed while driving home. I disconnected the battery for about 10 seconds then reconnected it which seemed to fix the fault. A few weeks later it came on again so I did the same. The fault indication has recurred at varying intervals during the last 6 months with the same fix carried out but I would like a permanent solution. Any suggestions for the most likely cause of the problem. John Weale

Reply to
John Weale

The first step is to get the fault code read whilst the light is on.

If you like to tinker, fault code readers that just do the basics are cheap now. If you have a laptop, try a USB one. They are under a tenner on eBay now.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

As Chris says get the codes read. out of interest, one of my cutomers had the light come on (same car) with no apparent effect, a code read said that it was the cam shaft sensor, I cleaned it and sprayed the connector with wd40 and the problem has not recurred, you could try that at zero cost.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

+1

I had to do that too. One hex head screw holds it in, beware of the 'o' ring.

David

Reply to
David

Chris - thanks for the advice - I have ordered one on ebay and will have a tinker. I have also cleaned the camshaft position sensor as suggested by Mr C. I may re-post if and when the fault recurrs. John Weale

Reply to
John Weale

Where does this sensor hide on a 04 1.8 ? .. sounds like it would be useful to know if I ever encounter it

Reply to
Joseph

Not hidden really, as you look at the top of the engine, looking from the front, it is at the back, on the right just round the corner from the coil. the air pipe might be a bit in the way of seeing it.

Reply to
Mrcheerful