Focus Shoe dropped off the edge of the cylinder piston...

Hi

I was taking advantage of the good weather earlier and giving my 2008 focus a pre-MOT once over. When I removed the off side rear drum i noticed that the knuckle of the shoe on the forward side had slipped of the piston of the wheel cylinder and was resting on the rubber shroud.

With a little bit of buggering about I managed to get it back onto where it should be and all seemed well, with the rubber shroud appearing none the worse for the expirence.

Is this a common complaint?

I compared both sides and could spot nothing out of place on the affected side.

The shoes look very new (only had the car 6months) i suppose its possible they are cheap s**te...

I assume this is the reason for the very slight pull to the left under hard braking I noticed last night and prompted special pre mot exam attention to the rear brakes.

Any Thoughts?

Reply to
Tom Burton
[...]

How many miles does it have on it?

Focus rear brake shoes wear very slowly; I changed then on my last one at

100K, but they were still well within the wear limit.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Pads to shoes usually 2:1 wear rate.

But cylinders need to be checked (for leaks and seized) if low mileage car.

Its a good idea to have all the braking system thoroughly checked every

3 years on a low mileage car, if it needs it or not. (Some my say less)
Reply to
Rob
[...]

More like 5:1 with the Focus IME.

More importantly, brake fluid changes at the maker's specified intervals are essential, and one of the most neglected areas of car maintenance.

Although not normally demanded by the service schedule, I would advise DIYers to remove the drums for a clean/check every service.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

The car is a mk2.5 2008, with 70k on the clock, my best guess would be most of it is ex motorway. I bought it on Boxing Day with 64k on the clock from a car dealer who's Mrs had been using it for 12months. Last MOT was Aug 11 and it had 63k then! - No service book but receipts making serving from 12 months old believeable. - Nothing to suggest shoes changed in that!

Quite agree with the sentiments about checking everything and the fluid change, checks+ clean usually gets done 6monthly ish with oil changes. With the Focus drums so easily removed it would be silly not to check on everything!

Car does about 12k a year in my hands.

I was just concerned the knuckle of the shoe had slipped off the piston, ive checked it again today and its still sat where it should be..

Ill check again in a week, or if anything feels amiss.

Reply to
Tom Burton