Focus - Speedo intermittently dies

I was driving my friend's Focus the other day. (Y-reg, 1600 Zetec, manual)

On a half hour journey the speedo suddenly stopped working 3 or 4 times, and would then come back to life 2-3 minutes later.

I noticed that whenever the speedo died or resurrected, there would also be the briefest hesitation or 'twitch' in the engine. I had the headlights on during the journey and noticed they also gave a quick flick as the engine twitched and the speedo died or came to life.

I couldn't determine any specific external factor (e.g. speed, gear change etc.) that always preceeded each event.

Any ideas for a possible cause would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

In message , Jeff writes

Usually the VSS (Vehicle speed sensor). Not too expensive but a bit awkward to change.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

the VSS needs replacing, they are 34.32 plus 1.50 for the fitting clip, I usually charge 60 labour quid to fit them, if the vehicle was brand new then it would take only minutes to fit (on a lift) unfortunately they get absolutely stuck in place with muck and are usually hard work to get out and take an hour or so in total.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Nedavno Mrcheerful napisa:

Why would headlights flick if VSS is bad?

Reply to
Yvan

Replace VSS. *Very* common.

Tim. .

Reply to
Tim..

Smart charge on the Focus- is speed dependant.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Thanks for the feedback, Guys, most helpful. Will get that VSS looked at.

Reply to
Jeff