Focus TDCi Broken Turbo

Our 2004 (53 plate) TDCi focus (Ghia/115) has just been diagnosed by my rel iable backstreet garage as having a broken turbo. Went in for diagnosis aft er the car had started making an odd noise on boost and the power was down.

Up until now this car has been 99% reliable, and we've had the car servicin g kept up to date and had the timing belt changed at it's 10th anniversary in Feb this year. I've just put 4 new tyres on it. We had intended to keep it as a reliable run around, but over the last month the car has had 2 pull eys changed prior to the turbo going, so perhaps it had come to the end of its useful life.

I've been quoted 1k for a 3rd party or 1.2k for a Ford turbo - both comfort ably above what the car is worth. Even if I fork out for the repair there c ould be other issues that crop up down the line and getting it running and then trading it in isn't likely to cover my costs.

Any suggestions for how best to dispose of the car? ebay/scrappies? The car will run but any test drive by a dealer will pick up the problem and my ga rage has advised me not to run the car as the turbo fault may feed oil into the engine with the usual consequences....

Reply to
Kevin H

eBay, with fault declared in full.

Reply to
Adrian

Used turbo from Ebay?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I had considered that. The garage has said there are a number of variants of turbo for that car and knowing my luck....Also, its the wife's car. I think she is losing faith with it so maybe time to say goodbye.

The garage owner has rung around his acquaintances who buy cars. Have been offered 400 which would just about cover the 4 new tyres and the tank full of diesel I put in last week :-(

Reply to
Kevin H

Wouldn't bother.

My brother had a similar issue with a Mk2 1.6TDCI (I did warn him that they were a bit shit, but he bought one anyway!) - I think he went through 2 supposed 'reconditioned' turbos and had to go cleaning out all kinds of other associated components before getting it running properly again.

On a car that age, I'd just ebay it with the fault declared and buy another.

Reply to
SteveH

Ebay spares and repair or try a scrapyard for a replacement turbo

Reply to
steve robinson