Focus TDdci 2003 1.8 engine cut and out wont restart

Focus TDdci 2003 1.8 engine cut and out wont restart.

Going round a roundabout yesterday my Focus engine stopped. It restarted easily and continued the journey home without incident. This morning the engine wont start. The battery turns the engine over at the normal speed while trying to start but mo sign of life. Plenty of diesel in the tank. The instruments lights come on as usual on turning the ignition key.

Looking for clues as to what the fault can be.

Thanks

Reply to
Alt Beer

As a follow up:

1:30 pm this afternoon I tried to start the engine. It started right away. It is very hot outside - if that might make a difference.

I am concerned about driving anywhere in the car in case it cuts out again. Its not a nice feeling trying to steer with no power steering.

Thanks

Reply to
Alt Beer

One of the common Focus faults that make them stall when coming to a halt is a faulty speed sensor, they are then immediately able to be restarted. Usually you get a warning such as speedo dropping to nothing or radio going quiet. I have only come across this on petrol focus, but I do not get many diesel focus come in, I could only guess that the same fault occurs.

As to not starting this morning, what was the immobiliser light doing? if it was flashing then the key was not recognised.

Autodata says there can be a problem with earth cables under the bonnet, and with cables chafing against the egr valve.

Reply to
MrCheerful

Not easy to diagnose with so little data.

Did the engine warning light come on or the glow plug light flash just before it stopped? If you are not sure, try to watch the next time (as I see it's now running from your later post.)

What's its service history? Has the fuel filter been replaced when called for?

Next step might be to get any fault codes read. TBH, there's not a great deal more you can do at this stage.

Fairly common for that engine I believe is intermittent cam sensor failure.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Thanks for the pointers to possible causes.

I think I will let the local repairer look at it.

Mrcheerful I believe you are the opposite end of the country to me (Surrey) unfortunately....

Reply to
Alt Beer

Good result.... Code reader indicated a bad cam position sensor. The wiring and connector looked ok.

I am surprised, after all its just a coil of wire with hardly any current flowing through it what can go wrong?

Reply to
Alt Beer