Focus wheel specifications

I've got a 2003 Ford Focus which the previous owner fitted with go- faster alloys, despite it being a 1.6LX. It needs new tyres all round so I thought it might be cheaper to get some second-hand wheels of a more sensible size instead of having to fit wide low-profile tyres. Rather than restrict my eBay search to Ford Focus wheels I thought I might try a more generic search to get more buying options. The tyre size for the base model is 185-65R14. I found a site which explained how to calculate the best tyre size for a rim's "J", and working backwards got 6J. The car has 4 studs and another eBay item I found was

so I guess I need 12mmx1.5, but I don't know about the length. But eBay will only let me search for stud diameters from 98 to 114 unspecified units. Presumably the diameter of an imaginary circle passing through the centres of the studs? Anyone know the right value for a Focus?

There are 4 studs per wheel BTW, but if I tick that on eBay I still get loads of results with 5 anyway.

Reply to
Tony Houghton

The dimension you are after is called the Pitch Circle Diameter (PCD).

Most Fords are 108mm but you also need the right offset and bore size if a wheel is to fit the hub properly.

Reply to
Dave Baker

The dimension you are after is called the Pitch Circle Diameter (PCD).

Most Fords are 108mm but you also need the right offset and bore size if a wheel is to fit the hub properly.

Reply to
Dave Baker

If I was you I'd try to get a set of OE alloys from the right trim level- easier and cheaper for insurance.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

That's more or less what I was trying to do. The local breaker says they can do a set of 4 steel wheels for £100. I got sniped on eBay for a set at £31 last night, but other than that the breaker's price seems competitive with what's on offer there. Is that worth going for? I presume I'll be able to get a few quid back by selling the alloys currently on it but ATM I've got no idea of the difference in price between the tyres.

The wheels are Lenso 5 spoke and I guess the colour would be called "graphite". The current tyres are 205-45ZR16.

Reply to
Tony Houghton

where in the country are you? I have a spare set of alloys for a focus. I bought them for a set of winter tyres, but a perfect set of winter tyres complete with wheels has turned up, so I have a spare set of wheels. they are this sort:

(this is not my advert, just a picture)

Reply to
Mrcheerful

The stock tyres for the 2.0 ESP model like mine are 205/50/16 which would clearly fit your current rims. It's not an unusual tyre size or very expensive and I can't see the point in spending money on manky steel rims just to save a few quid on tyres. I also doubt there'll be much of a market for your alloy rims when the OE 16" Focus alloys like Mr Cheerful has linked to are so readily available from breakers or s/h ads.

Reply to
Dave Baker

They're not the same diameter though. By my calculations 205/45/16 is the closest to 185/65/14. The 2.0 would have gearing "tuned" for that diameter and perhaps different suspension too. Last year only the fronts needed replacing so our on-the-cheap mechanic put the rears on the front and 205/55/16s on the rear. If heavily loaded they rub the wheel arches on bumps. Can you also get cheapish 205/45/16s?

Reply to
Tony Houghton

> (this is not my advert, just a picture) I'm in Southampton. But what size are yours? I think my biggest problem is that this model is supposed to take 14" rims so I need quite a low profile tyre to get the right diameter for the car on a 16" rim.

Reply to
Tony Houghton

> (this is not my advert, just a picture)>

these are 15's

14, 15, 16 , 17 and 18 were all made for Focuses

the 14s are 5.5J x 14 with either 175/70 x 14 or 185/65 14 both of those are a tall tyre

my focus has had 205/55 x15, 195/50 x 15 (present winter tyres) 195/55 x 15,

195/60 x 15, the difference in rolling diameter doesn't seem to notice until you get to the present tyre when it is definitely faster on accelleration.

in your case the 205/50 x 16 is almost exactly the same rolling diameter as the 175/70 x 14

a useful site for cross referencing is:

Mrcheerful

I had a quick look at tyre prices and for a set of 4 there's going to be a difference of at least £50 between 205/45/16 and 185/65/14. I don't care what it looks like, it's an old banger covered in scratches and minor dents. Even if we don't keep it long enough to replace the tyres ever again, the stock ones should be quieter and smoother over bumps, and I should get at least £30 for the alloys on eBay.

Reply to
Tony Houghton