Fog light Question

Hi all My Daewoo Nexia recently failed its MOT due to the REAR fog light not working. When I checked the rear fog light I found that it works perfectly but only when the FRONT fog lights are on at the same time. As soon as the front fog lights are extinguished the rear lights go out also. I do not believe that this is a wiring fault with the rear light as the little lights in the fog light switches are also connected this way. I believe this is the way it was designed. Has anyone come across this before, is this correct or has my car some fault somewhere (the fog light relay ?) and is the MOT station correct to fail the car even when the rear fog lights do work but only when the front fogs are on to.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome. Thanks David

Reply to
David Oneill

I have a Pug 306 XSi with standard front fogs. In order to switch the rear fog light on, I have to switch on the front fogs first. I have seen this arranegement in many other cars too. Therefore I'd say the MOT station is having you on...

Do what you need to do.

correct

That might explain the issues I had with mine a few years ago. Although mine was intermittent as well. Of course it fell outside the warranty period because I bought the car in the summer and didn't have to use the fog lights until November. Typically I found in the small print in the warranty that wiring faults due to loose connectors were excluded on s/h cars.

Reply to
Malc

Xantia fog light switch operates by rotating the stalk control:

  1. Front fogs. 2. Front and rear fogs. So you can't have the rears on alone. MoT man needs instruction. DaveK
Reply to
davek

My old octavia was failed for having left fog out. I found a bulb there was ok, but no wire to it. I leaned that it's not wired as new.(depending of lhd/rhd versions). I corrected the SKODA stealer aand got a pass. thick twonks. Then checked the cable rating and put a patch to make both work.

--

Reply to
Neil

Yes but I was talking about a Daewoo Nexia which I had the misfortune to own for about 6 months. Never ever again. The main dealers are/were shites and so was the car.

Reply to
Malc

Not sure about that above, sure it's not like the new shape Celica? ie. the last twist to 2nd is a toggle (it never stays on the 2nd twist) for the rear fogs - so you then have to twist it back to the off position. Then to switch the rear fogs off again you must twist and toggle the 2nd position then back to off. Bit of a pain as everytime you switch the rears on or off then the fronts will flash on & off.

My MR2 is like the OP. But only when the sidelights are on: With no lights on no fog lights can be on. With sidelights on the rears can't be switched on but the fronts can - although if you put front fogs on first THEN you can put the rears on. With dipped beam either can be on independantly as expected.

Reply to
Johnny

Same with my X-trail, fronts on first then another turn of the same switch turns the rear on too. Probably the tester is a bit thick and couldnt understand there is a difference between the symbols for front and rear fogs

Steve

Reply to
Steve

When I queried my MoT geezer he stated that it was now a requirement that rears could only be turned on with the fronts on, and if the rear came on on it's own it was only legit if there were no fronts or if the fronts were an aftermarket fit. He said that this is to do with some construction regulation that also states all lighting should be controlled from one switch but he couldn't supply a reference.

Reply to
Chris Street

Bollocks. So long as the lights work in accordance with the manufacturers specifications, then it will pass. They can introduce legislation like this for new cars, but they can't force it to apply to older vehicles. Sounds to me like he's an arse, might be wise to appeal and do it that way.

Hellraiser..........>

Reply to
Hellraiser

just don't read the book and make it up as they go along,the section on fog lights is pretty clear

Reply to
Angus McCoatup

Thanks to all of you for the information and replies, I will take the car back to the MOT station tomorrow and point out the error of their ways?

Reply to
David Oneill

I don't recall saying it had to apply to older vehicles.

Why should I appeal - my car didn't fail?

Reply to
Chris Street

I also have a Daewoo Nexia (not by choice I hasten to add) and I can tell you that there is nothing wrong with your fog light wiring as that is how the manufacturers designed it to work.

"....The inspection of rear fog lamps is confined to the one rear fog lamp which is required to be fitted to the centre or offside of vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1980. Note: On some vehicles the front fog lamps need to be switched on before the rear fog lamp(s) will work...."

Reply to
Mark