Foot pump

The wife was out shopping today and stumbled on a deal at Robert Dyas half price, a foot single barrel footpump says it can do car tyres, footballs etc. Just wondering if I try an do my car tyres if I will fall over an die from all that excercise ?

They any good for tyres, I guess ideally I would've wanted a double barrel one but hey ho.

Usually I drive to a petrol station and do my tyre pressure with my wheels all nice and hot so I guess doing them whilst cold is more accurate ?

Reply to
Matt

You're not going to get them hot enough to make a shit of difference.

Reply to
Conor

The message from "Matt" contains these words:

Aldi have double-barrel footpumps at the moment.

Reply to
Guy King

A single barrel one needs less physical force to operate, but needs more strokes. The difference is insignificant for most people.

It will make a small difference doing them cold, but the real advantage of doing them at home is that the gauge you use is likely to be more accurate.

Chris (Who's never used a garage gauge in over 30 years :-))

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Sod that - electric compressors are dirt cheap these days - I've not used my footpump for years.

Reply to
SteveH

Those are more trouble than a foot pump if you ask me, or maybe the one I got in a cracker once just isn't very good.

It goes to 250psi (if you believe the sticker on it), which would be almost enough to explode the wheel, but takes around 10 minutes to raise a car tyre by 1psi.

Reply to
Ben C

Lazy git :)

Reply to
Matt

Must be a bad one I guess. the halfords one got a good review on the autoexpress website.

Reply to
Matt

snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) wrote in news:1i1knrk.o8v8ep1dy5c5pN% snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk:

Seconded

Reply to
Stuart G Gray

Yes that Halfords one reviewed is superb. I bought one to replace an older compressor I'd had for years because I'd discovered the pressure gauge was dodgy. Turned out I'd been under inflating my tyres by about 3psi or more for over a year. The gauge on the Halfords unit is spot on compared to a dedicated pressure gauge I used to check it.

Gary.

Reply to
Gary

Why didn't you use your dedicated pressure gauge on the old compressor?

Reply to
ThePunisher

The message from "ThePunisher" contains these words:

Insufficient dedication?

Reply to
Guy King

I did when I discovered the fault with the old compressor. I could also have set the old one several PSI higher to compensate, but it was a bit battered and on its last legs anyway. It's a lot handier being able to set the pressure you want and just leave it to its own devices rather than having to feuter about with a separate gauge.

G.

Reply to
Gary

Ah! but how did you discover the fault in the first place?

Reply to
ThePunisher

Lol! The car came back from a service and I always check the pressures are set correctly afterwards. In this case they appeared to be over inflated, so I deflated them to "normal." However then I thought perhaps I'd better check with my gauge just to make certain, and that's when I discovered my compressor was faulty. OK perhaps it didn't count as definitive proof, but a separate gauge + the garage, vs the compressor stacked up the odds favourably!

Now, enough about compressors and gauges and tyre pressures, and off to drill some holes in the back garden before the rain comes on again!!!

G.

Reply to
Gary