For Ka Front wishbone bushes

Hi all

Just brought my wife a 97 R Ka 1 .45000mls, everything is fine ( beside the normal rust), but i have noticed the front wishbone bushes are very noisy when going over speed ramps ect. Just wondering if it is a easy job to replace, has anyone done it, any tips . Or would it be easier to replace the 2 wishbone`s completly

Tony

Reply to
Tony & Debs

Just had mine done. About £20 for parts if you go to Ford and buy the bushes, and then you need to get the arms off, press out the old ones and press in the new ones. ISTR new Ford arms cost £120 each or so, pattern arms are obviously cheaper. If you've access to a press to get them in and out, it might be worthwhile diying, otherwise my mechanic said generally it's cheaper to replace the arms (with pattern ones) than just swap the bushes due to the labour costs.

Reply to
Doki

In message , Doki writes

The Ford arms are only £60 each. Pattern ones around £30 each. Given the short life of the Ford arms, I don't consider it false economy to use pattern arms.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

In message , Tony & Debs writes

I changed the nearside arm on my wife's Ka a couple of months ago. Not too difficult to do. Make sure you have got the torx bit to undo the balljoint clamp bolt and you will need an 18mm open ended spanner (not a common size) to get on the nuts which secure the mounting bolts. An axle stand and jack is also needed.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Thanks for all the info guys, very usefull

Tony

Reply to
Tony & Debs

Will i need to compress the springs???

Tony

Reply to
Tony & Debs

Nope.

Reply to
Doki

In message , Tony & Debs writes

Yes you will need to do this but you can use a jack under the inner part of the brake disk to compress it enough to get things lined up. A second person to ensure the spring compresses squarely and doesn't slip off, would be useful. It's a little bit fiddly but I engaged the balljoint first and then jacked up the spring until I could get the wishbone bolts through the chassis.

When you disconnect the balljoint you will probably have to use a lever or pry bar to disengage it.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

In message , Doki writes

Yep :)

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Not in the get a set of spring compressors way though :).

Reply to
Doki

In message , Doki writes

No that's true although if you did have a set of compressors then it would be a bit safer than the method I described.

Reply to
Paul Giverin