Ford CVH 1.4

Hi All,

Sorry but .... I have a 1.4 CVH Escort on a 94 Plate. Took the Car for it`s MOT, Passed everything except the Emmissions Test:( I know these cars are bloody awfull for this but wondered if somebody could possibly help?

CO was at 12.441% HC at 875ppm Lambda at 0.680

Since then i`ve Change All 3 Temp Sensors. Its had the Plugs Change, Oil Changed, Engine Flushed, Thormostat Changed, Oil and Air Filter Changed.

Anybody got any Ideas? I don`t mind spending upto £100 - £150 on this as the car in itself is very tidy.

Someone has suggested the TPS and/or MAP sensor, i`ve just got a MAP sensor of Ebay for a fiver and a TPS for 3 quid.

Gonna see if this makes a difference. My garage has said it could be the Cat that has gone but more likly the Engine Management Unit. Both of which they have qouted me nearly £500 for.

Just thought you cleaver guys on here might be able to suggest something?

Cheers Si

Reply to
Si

As the lambda is way off, and the car is running rich, chances are the lambda sensor is the problem. You've already replaced the temp sensors, so it's unlikely to be them.

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

It might be the wiring to them though, 12%CO is a bit excessive for a faulty lamda sensor. Cats are under a £100 but there's something else wrong with it if you're getting 12%CO , ditto Lamda sensor. Which error codes did the garage get?

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Confirmation of this is a bloody awful mpg figure. Has the OP run it for long enough to see if this is the case.

Reply to
Chris Street

Hi,

We did try changing the Lambda sensor in the Garage with a Spare one they had but to no avail.

I must admit thinking about it the MPG has gone down in the past few months,

10 quid of fuel get me about 50 mile now, althought i must admit i thought it was the fact im now sat in 2 miles of traffic in a morning, instead of a straight run due to the bridge near me been shut:(

Cheers Aga>

Reply to
Si

With a CO of 12% it wont be the O2 sensor as the primary cause, the engine is running too rich for the o2 sensor to start switching, however it may be buggered along with the cat if its been running this rich for any length of time...!

Are you sure the car was fully warmed up when it had the emissions test? If its running constantly at around 12% CO it'd be drinking fuel and you'd see black smoke, if not a very black tailpipe, and it'd be running poorly too.

You've changed the CTS, and thermostat which would have been my first areas of attention, but are you sure the ECU is seeing the correct engine temperature? The CTS connectors on these are notoriously poor and the ecu may be seeing a low signal= engine cold. Check again.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Neither the CFi CVH nor the EFI PTE engines have a cold start valve so stop harping on about it!!!!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..