Ford Escort 1600 Automatic (1996) - pulling away problem

There's been a noise (whine) coming from my gearbox area for the past couple of weeks. Only when the car's cold & goes within 15 minutes.

Now the last few days when it's cold I'm using an extra 2000 revs to pull off when the car's a bit cold. There's also no pull from stationary. Again this goes when the car's warmed up & I've no problems.

So before I;

a) breakdown b) get too stressed over nothing c) Scrap the car with no good reason; or d) Let my local garage have a look.

Any suggestions here?

It's done 116k miles & has been serviced regular... anyone else had this problem with an Escort automatic, which has also since I've had the car (8 years), been a problem putting it into drive just after the car's started - always tends to jerk & then stall - but if the car's left ticking over a bit, it's fine.

Anyone?

Thanks

PJ

Reply to
*Phantom Mendips*

Maybe a bit obvious, but have you checked the oil level? Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Not really obvious actually... in fact my dad (who has no official knowledge of cars cept what he reads in Autoexpress & in watching Formula 1) said pretty much the same

Here's hoping...

Reply to
*Phantom Mendips*

thats the gearbox oil leval BTW it should be checked with the engine running and when its hot.

Reply to
ford_technical_

Make sure you do it with the engine running.

Reply to
Conor

Have done that - plenty of oil there - not low at all.

The main problem is when the car is first started (morning or evening), the whine is there & there's hardly any power in first gear. After about 5 minutes, the whine dies away & power starts to return (speeds up to 30 mph it takes ages to reach them!)

After about 20 minutes of running, the whine has disappeared & power has returned?

Any further suggestions gratefully recieved.

PJ

Reply to
*Phantom Mendips*