Ford escort alarm

My father in laws P reg ford escort needed a new battery which he fitted

Now the alarm (which he didn't know he had) goes off for 20 seconds whenever he opens a door !

The alarm sounder appears to be somewher in the boot The car appears to start OK

Does it need resetting ? how?

Can I just snip the wires leading to the sounder ?

TIA

Reply to
jim.arnold

in this case I would snip the wires or just unplug it

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Yes but make sure you tell your insurance company.

Reply to
George

there is no requirement for an alarm on the average policy or the maintenance of even a factory fitted one. and this is probably an aftermarket alarm . escorts had an immobiliser usually, but not an alarm IIRC

Reply to
Mrcheerful

now do you snip the red wire or the blue one ?

Reply to
reg

So long as he tells his insurance company that his car has being altered from the makers spec' he'll be ok if he has a claim. This includes ADDING equipment and also removing it.

Reply to
George

I'm pretty sure that all Escorts of this era had an alarm, but the sounder was a standard horn mounted under the bonnet, not in the boot. If this had been triggered by the OP's battery swap, it is unlikely that it would have started.

Likelihood is that an after-market alarm has been fitted at some time in the vehicle's life.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

George,

That's the problem when using the el-cheapo insurance companies - they'll use *any* loophole *not* to pay up for a claim!

Now what if you remove a factory-fitted radio and not replace it - will that invalidate the insurance if the company is not told about that?

Unbeliever

Reply to
Unbeliever