Ford Escort Clutch

My Ford Escort SI (R reg) clutch has started to slip. First thing in the morning it judders then operates smoothly, could the judder mean oil contamination, hence the slipping and is it time to bite the bullet and replace the clutch. The clutch is biting fairly close to the top and the cable doesn't seem to be under tension. Is replacing the clutch a big job and is it worth obtaining oil seals before I start the job, if so what seals. Also does anybody know a good place to buy a clutch either through the internet or local to Newcastle Upon Tyne. Regards Ron

Reply to
Ron Smith

Might be worth getting the clutch auto-adjuster checked first. The plastic ratchet and pawl mechanism is prone to wear and causes alsorts of clutch problems. :/ It's fitted at the top of the actual clutch pedal and the parts cost bugger all but fitting is a bloody pain!

Dave

Reply to
Dave