ford escort diesel van

hi everybody i recently bought a ex royal mail t reg escort van it is a 1.8 endura engine, i was informed that it had its cam belt changed at 36,000 miles on the service history from royal mail. but the new owner before me had this changed again at 48,000, the van is now coming up to 50.000. my problem is there sounds a bit of a noise coming from that area especially when first started,sounds like a humming flapping noise. i have checked the belt for tension and all seems well,also another belt behind another cover running fuel pump seems tensioned ok. sould this belt also be replaced by now ,do you think? fan belt looks worn a bit but is tight. perhaps it would pay to replace the lot for piece of mind, besides this niggle van drives lovely. anyone had similar symptoms regards andy

Reply to
andy

The one behind the cover is the cam belt. There's _no_ way the belt under the cover should be looking worn after only 2000 miles.

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

Different engine I know, but my dad bought a R-reg 1.8 Zetec Escort with 9k on and after 15k I noticed a small tear and a flap in the timing belt,

Enough to say it was changed by ford he following day FOC

Reply to
Tom Burton

It is usual practice to replace the injection pump belt when replacing the cam belt. Odd noises may be caused by poor quality or damaged belts or tensioners. If in any doubt at all have the whole lot changed, whole lot genuine fitted will be about 150 pounds. Failure of the cam belt will cost approx 600 pounds minimum.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful