Ford Escort - Fuel problems

Ran out of petrol so used a borrowed petrol can to fill it up. As the last drops of petrol were going in I heard what sounded like stones going thru the tube. I didn't take any notice and I didn't think it actually would have been, now the engine runs very rough, stuttery and a clicking noise coming from under the bonnet when driving (cannot reproduce when revving, while taking a look).

I then opened the can after remembering this and found a muscle shell at the bottom (!).

I assume that anything that could cause significant engine damage would be caught by the fuel filter and if small enough to get through that, clog an injector?

Any ideas on how I can quickly remedy this as I have to pick my girlfriend up at 12 :-(

Thanks,

Graham

Reply to
Graham

If this is a carb fed Escort, I managed similar once. Pop the fuel line off the carb, and either try to undo the inlet pipe, or if you're really in a hurry and don't care, ram a screwdriver down it a few times. Not recommended, and you could really bugger things up, but it worked for me as crap was blocking the gauze filter down there, I couldn't get the pipe off, and it's worked fine ever since.

Obviously the best thing to do is try and clear any blockages properly, depends how much you care about the car - I hated mine, was glad I sold it.

Reply to
Stuffed

In news:c9qrq0$2cu$ snipped-for-privacy@news.freedomsurf.net, Stuffed slebbered:

Problem is its a 1998 multi-point fuel injection - no carb to play with :-(

Graham

Reply to
Graham

Then all I can suggest is checking the filter, try blowing back through the line, and hope the car manages to do the journey tonight, before going over it fully tomorrow. Does sound like it's possibly a blockage, shouldn't be too hard to trace eventually.

Not like one of my cars, that every so often died, but would tick over fine. Turned out the outlet in the tank had furred up with rust, and couldn't flow fast enough when I put my foot down, but was fine at standstill.

Reply to
Stuffed