Ford Escort relays

hi, can anyone tell me where the relays are on the 95 Ford escort 1600 please? I've got a problem with fog light. When I press the button the button light doesnt go on but the fog light does. However, it doesnt stay on and goes out when I take my finger off the button. I've already changed the switch and that wasnt the problem.

McK.

Reply to
McKevvy

There are main relays under the bonnet in front of the battery. The rest, including the fog light ones, are on the rear of the fuseboard, under the steering wheel. Remove the fuseboard cover, and six screws holding the lower fascia cover. The fuseboard has a clip at the top; undo this, and the board hinges down, revealing the relays. (Note that the clip may well have a cable tie round it which you will need to cut. The clip sometimes comes undone, and the fuseboard rattles!)

You don't mention whether it's a front or rear foglight problem; front is R25 (White), rear is R19 (Grey). There is also a module for the front ones, R21 (White).

HTH

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Many thanks indeed Chris. The problem is with the rear fog light - my escort doesnt have front ones. I'll dig out the relays on sunday when I have time. Have you any idea of the fault that I described in the OP? Im not niave with vehicle electrics but this fault is annoying - not to mention an MOT fail.

Many thanks,

Mckevvy

Reply to
McKevvy

Was it this age of Escort that had problems with the actual fusebox? An extremely complicated bit of kit?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)
[...]

Yes

Not really; it just combines the fuses with the relays on one double- sided board.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan
[...]

Confusingly, Haynes describes a rear foglight relay, yet there isn't one shown in the wiring diagram. The feed to the rear foglight goes from the switch to the relay board, but is jumpered back out again.

A further confusion is that there was a model change in '95; your car could be a pre- or post-95 MY. There are significant differences. For example, pre-95 rear foglight fuse is F8. Post-95, it's F1.

I've looked on Autodata, but that has no diagram for lighting.

Neither pre- or post-95 models seem to use a relay according to the diagrams available. It's going to be a case of poking around with a multi- meter I'm afraid.

Good luck; let us know how you get on!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan
[...]

Confusingly, Haynes describes a rear foglight relay, yet there isn't one shown in the wiring diagram. The feed to the rear foglight goes from the switch to the relay board, but is jumpered back out again.

A further confusion is that there was a model change in '95; your car could be a pre- or post-95 MY. There are significant differences. For example, pre-95 rear foglight fuse is F8. Post-95, it's F1.

I've looked on Autodata, but that has no diagram for lighting.

Neither pre- or post-95 models seem to use a relay according to the diagrams available. It's going to be a case of poking around with a multi- meter I'm afraid.

Good luck; let us know how you get on!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I think it's time to stick it into an auto electrician. Thankfully there's one next door to my brothers workshop - I hope he'd due him a favour so I can get a discount! Thanks for everones help.

McK.

Reply to
McKevvy

It's complicated if you attempt a repair...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It would be unusual to use a relay for a single rear fog - load under a couple of amps. Unless data bus switching or whatever.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have fixed a few just by adding in some suitable jumper wiring.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

was the switch a new one? since switch failure was very common a secondhand one is quite likely to be dead as well.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Indeed, but the wiring diagram shows that the feed from the switch goes to the light via connections to the relay board. These connections are shown jumpered. I suspect that it might be to accommodate some peculiarity of regulation in a non-UK market.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan
[...]

To eliminate the switch, use a suitable piece of wire to join together the Grey/Yellow and Grey wires if a pre-'95 car, or Violet/Yellow and Violet if post-'95. If the light then works, the fault is still the switch.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I'm sure you could. But since the fault is likely a soldered joint failing, it would be nice to just re-flow the lot. And it's near impossible to separate the two boards to allow this.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Its a switch from the scrappies. It's a 95 Escort.

McK.

Reply to
McKevvy

Many many thanks, I'll try that tomorrow.

McK.

Reply to
McKevvy

Does the same hold true for a 2000 ZZ2? I'm looking for the driving light relay (lights the dash and rear running lights).

Thanks, Don

Reply to
don.labriola2