ford escort van

apologies for the lack of car knowledge its really something i don't know a lot about. I have an m reg ford escort van which i drove into work on monday morning. when i decelerated to stop at a roundabout the engine smply cut out and took a few attempts to start up again. this happened again at the next roundabout - i broke to a halt from about 50 mph and it cut out again. this time it took a good 4-5 minutes to get started again.

i took the van to the garage and they suspected an air lock or air leak

- i can't remember which exactly. the mechanic had the van all day and found nothing wrong and took the van for a drive and said it behaved perfectly. it was fine all day yesterday but this morning it cut out again at the second roundabout it cut out at on monday. ideally i'd like a few ideas as to the cause just so i know which direction to point the mechanic in when i take it back - or if its something obvious so i know to take it elsewhere!

Reply to
themastertaylor

I don't know the answer to your problem, but in order to help others help you, some more info may be needed. For example, type of engine, mileage covered, how it has been serviced.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

the engines a 1.3 diesel but more than that i'm struggling, its done about 40k miles and has been serviced annually - hope that helps

Reply to
themastertaylor

Rules out carb icing then ! :-) Graham

Reply to
Graham2

stupid question but why does it rule carb icing out? after your post i read a bit on it online and it sounds very similar to the problem i'm having. especially the fact that it only seems to happen on the drive into work first thing in the morning and has only started to happen since the weather got colder recently.

Reply to
themastertaylor

Did Ford ever make a 1.3 Diesal, What colour is the ring inside the FuelFlap where the Petrol Cap goes, Is it Green.

DF

Reply to
df

You said the van was Diesel, Diesel engines do not have a carb so do not and cannot suffer from carb icing.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

The message from snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com contains these words:

I think there we may be parting from reality.

Reply to
Guy King

sorry my mistake its 1753 cc so i'm guessing thats a 1.8? told you i was rubbish with cars, the ring is red btw

Reply to
themastertaylor

If the trouble is an air leak, check the fuel primer button diaphragm on top of the fuel filter housing. You'll see a big black button to the right of the engine as you look into the engine compartment, top left of the air filter housing. There is a rubber diaphragm under the button, which you can't see because it is hidden by the outer metal casing. Try pressing the button a few times.....if it is reasonably firm and you see no sign of fuel leakage around abouts then it probably isn't this.....if you do see fuel or the button feels spongy (you may not see any fuel.....a friend of mine didn't and the primer diaphragm was still at fault ! But the button was spongy). One Escort and a Mondeo with the same set up had cut out and refusal to start problems because of this. About =A355 ukp from Ford for the part......ps factor def cheaper Haynes aren't very helpful with detail on this part or the replacement of it far as I can remember.

Reply to
Larry

Just been home for lunch and the engine cut out again twice so i think i can rule out anything with cold weather etc. every time it happens its after travelling at speed then braking with the engine cutting out at a decent speed last time it was 40mph when it died. also i noticed the battery and oil lights came on and after i got it going again and limped back to the office the oil light was flashing on and off. just checked the oil and there's plenty in there but will double check once it cools down a bit. if anyone has any other ideas it'd be appreciated!

Reply to
themastertaylor

You've got a loose electrical connection, start with the earth bonds to the engine & the battery.

Reply to
Duncan Wood