Ford Fiesta Festival spec

Anyone know what kind of spec the Fiesta Festival is? I'm after a little run-a-bout and a friend of my neighbour has one for sale but I can't find any info or spec on the festival. Probably one of those models Ford gave a fancy name in order to get shut before the new models came out. All I know is that it's a 5 door hatch K reg (1993). What cc engine is in these - OHV or OVC and would it be carb or injection with cat? As a mainly town car are they generally reliable with good MPG? Cheers.

Reply to
Mark

Mark ( snipped-for-privacy@invalidaddress.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

The engine capacity will be on the V5. Probably 1100. It'll definitely be below the cheap tax cut-off point, at any rate.

At that age, it'll certainly be injection with cat - probably single-point (throttle body) injection.

Will it be reliable and economical? There's only one way to answer that - and that, unfortunately for you, is with a question :- How shagged out is it? Let's be honest - It's a 12 year old Fester - it could quite easily be at least five years overdue an appointment with a scrappy.

Reply to
Adrian

How reliable do you expect a K reg Fiesta to be? It may last OK, but it's quite likely that it won't. I think the only way to tell how reliable it's gonna be is to look at it.

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk

Her indoors has a L reg 1.8 fiesta diesel.

Gets 50/55 mpg on daily runs of 40 miles to and from work.

Done almost 100,000 miles and total garage bills over last two years £70 for fitting a new front nearside arm.

Will be looking for a new home around March when she wants a new one.

Drawback is the higher rate of road tax compared to her previous fiesta (1.1petrol)

R4

Reply to
Arthur Suggitt

There were a few "special editions," and they usually made sense for the consumer if they wanted a Fiesta.

It'll either be a 1.1 or a 1.3, both are HCS engines, or OHV. If it's the

1.3 it will be the CFi version, i.e. fuel injected and a cat, but if it's the 1.1 it'll probably be the carb version. 1992 cars with cats tend to be significantly thirstier than their carb versions, 'cos cat-technology was inefficient. The 1.1 carb with a five speed 'box is especially economical, typically returning round 85 to 90% of the 1.8 diesel (my diesel returned between 48 and 67 mpg, so I would have expected 40 to 60 mpg from the 1.1 carb). However, this is based on my driving and routes at the time. Your mileage will probably vary!

The 1.1 carb also had a manual choke - look to the left hand side of the steering column, that's where it'll be.

The engines are basically tough but _need_ regular oil changes. They sound progressively tappety and diesel-like as they wear out _but_ there are thousands that sound as rough as a badgers' butt but just keep going!

I know of several 1.1s that have over 100,000 miles on the clock without anything other than usual services, but if the owner doesn't change the oil on a regular basis they do die.

As to how reliable they are, at this age, that'll depend on the owner as much as the car. Rust and missed services tends to kill them but there are still some good 'uns kicking about. Replacement engines are cheap and servicing prices are low (even considering th e6,000 mile service interval).

Reply to
DervMan