Ford Fiesta Heater

I can't get any heat from my 2000 Fiesta 1.8 Endura DI!! I have changed the header cap, heater valve and thermostat. I have also flushed the system fully and refilled with antifreeze. The engine quickly gets up to temp and runs bang in the middle of the gauge. I believe there is an airlock but I can't seem to clear it. I noticed that in the Ford TES information the bleeding of the DI engine coolant system is unique, but unfortunaetly I don't have the data on how to do this as the disk I have is corrupted. The system also doesn't appear to pressurise, as I can remove the header cap even when the engine is warm and though there is a small amount of pressure release, it is very small.

Any help would be much appreciated as I am getting close to smashing the car to pieces with a hammer. Luckily I am so cold when I get out of the damn thing I just want to get in the house and warm up. I refuse to be beaten on this one !!!

Reply to
Rob

You're missing the obvious thing and also not understanding how the heater works. The matrix is blocked so no hot water is going through, change it and all will be fine. It's usually caused by corrosion in the engine being dislodged by someone using "flushing" solutions. The other possibility is someone using RADWELD type fluids which dislodge gunge and then it all gets trapped in the matrix. My local MSF Ford also used to do daft things like changing a thermostat when a heater matrix was stuffed. Follow the route of the pipes. Also have a read of what a thermostat on a car is for. The matrix is blocked - couldn't be easier to fix. You will need to do an impression of a vet with long arms to change it. A garage charges about £130 for supply, fit and refill. It sounds like previous owners have done the classic trick of topping up with plain tap water to save money, and this has caused a lot of rust that you have flushed into the matrix.

Reply to
Jae

don't these have a electric valve at the back of the engine bay that fails on a regular basis? if not then the matrix is blocked

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

If you use Google groups and search for "Fiesta heater" you will find that the most likely cause is failure of the electrically controlled water valve on the bulkhead.

HTH

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

By heater valve do you mean the electronic solenoid mounted in the centre of the bulkhead, with 4 pipes connected to it?

If you replaced it, did you check it was getting power? Set the heat dial to the middle, with the engine running, and feel the valve. You should feel it pulsing. If it's not pulsing, disconnect it, and connect up a 5W bulb to it (a 5W capless bulb with the wires unfolded is ideal). It should flash. If it doesn't flash, the fault lies with the control circuit (if this is the problem, let me know and I'll dig out the testing procedure for it).

If all that's fine, then chances are the heater matrix and possibly the oil cooler are blocked (they're connected in series, so if one blocks the other doesn't get any flow). Just disconnect the hoses, and back flush them.

***
Reply to
M Cuthill

Had the same problem on my Fiesta Endura DI. A new heater control valve and flushout and the heater works ok

Reply to
Alt Beer