Ford Fiesta Heater Problem

I have a 1998 (S Reg) Ford Fiesta with a 1.3 engine. The heater has stopped working and only cold air comes through. I know that there is a coolant control valve in the bulk head scuttle under the bonnet so I am supposing that turning the hot/cold control knob alters the amount of hot water going through the heater matrix.

I am puzzled however by the fact that when I put a meter across the plug on the solenoid I get full voltage and this does not differ irrespective of the control knob position. It still blows cold when the plug is connected and when it is disconnected. The Haynes manual is very scant on this subject, (as they always appear to be on none engine related matters).

Can anybody help in this matter? Is it safe to assume that the valve has gone faulty or do I need to check other areas first?

Many thanks

Richard

Reply to
Spam Buster

Most likely is that your thermostat is crook. This, when working, stops water from going through the radiator until it's warm. It does, however, go through the heater matrix so that you get hot water there more or less instantly. If the thermo's gone then most of the water goes to the rad. and is cooled too much and you don't get mucgh warm water in the heater.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob Graham

This generation Fiesta, like the Ka /wahhhey!/ and Puma, use the solenoid to open and close the valve, rather than have it part open or not.

explains it much better than I can!

Reply to
DervMan