ford focus 1.8tdci engine noise

Hi people I am posting this for a friend of mine in the hope that someone can help.His car is a 2007 focus 1.8tdci with 80k on the clock (ex lex lease car with full service history) the problem is the car developed a loud clatter from the top end I have heard it and it is loud its coming from the front half of the engine Strange but you can get rid of the noise by holding car at about 2000rpm but outside that it comes back in again, There is a slight misfire at about

12-1500rpm with no load on the engine and he tells me that the car is down on power( I suspect the two are related) The car is sitting in a garage at the moment waiting for him to make a decision on what to do The garage I think is stumped as to what it is but have said it could be:- Little end bearing ( but why would that be intermittent) broken valve spring ( possibly but again why intermittent) bend valve ( car hasnt been overrevved why would valve bend)

They have also dimissed faulty injector "as they dont sound like that" and have dismissed faulty hydraulic tappet (which was my prime suspect) as its got shimmed followers Wha I can say is that the clatter sounds to me like its timed the same as the cam and is harsh and there are no fault lights and oil pressure light goes out instantly

Has any body had a similar experience with this engine or any good advice to give before we get into large expense as the garage suggestion is to put in secondhand engine

Many thanks Alan

Reply to
chubs

I know you said no fault lights, but has the car been diagnosed?

Not sure what the Ford system is, but VAG cars can be scanned using VAGCOM (or VCDS as it is now known).

That would be my first step.

Reply to
Mark

Firstly defeinately scan for fault codes with IDS and check that the ECU hasnt forgotten the injector calibrations.

I would do a cranking balance test with a scope and see if anything show up with regard to a damaged small end / bent rod etc. Will be clear to see.

Check the alternator drive coupling.

I would also pull off the cam cover and check the bearing caps. If possible get a boroscope examinaton after pulling the injectors, which is piss easy on this engine.

Some later versions of this engine use a composite cam with the lobes pressed on. Wouldnt be the first time that one has spun on the shaft, but only known it with vauxhalls..

Only then, condemn the engine.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..