Ford Focus 2002 - how easy change to change brake pads

Is this an easy DIY job ? Garage charged me £170 to change rear pads and discs on my C-max :( (because of EPB) Tried to find a link on web for a how to for the standard focus but couldn't find one Garage want £60 for front and £70 for rear pads fitted I can buy a complete set of pads and discs for front and rear for £50

Thanks

Reply to
Jim

Generally speaking, changing pads is a piece of weewee, as is reflected in the garage only charging you about 30mins labour each end.

However, brakes stop you from crashing into things and if you don't find out how to change the pads properly before you start on them things might get interesting for you.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Don't worry would definitely check Haynes manual and follow procedure in there to change them , I do know how important the brakes are !

Reply to
Jim

Yes, it's quite easy. I've just done mine and it takes about half an hour (however see my next post). Out of interest, what are the common mistakes that leave the car unsafe to drive? Failing to reinstall the caliper bolts? Getting oil on the pads? :)

Also, is it normal to smell hot brakes through the vents after braking gently from 70 with brand new pads on? Am I right in thinking that Ford pads are quite soft? The disc, which went on new with the last set of pads 4 years ago, still looks brand new aside from light scoring. No sign of a lip at all.

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Spikings

The usual ham-fisted bodges: using an unsuitable tool to push the pistons back in, hammering pins or pads out with anything that comes to hand, and then back in again, "because they were tight", installing anti-rattle shims wrongly (or not at all) because they can't remember how they came off, even trying to put the pads in the wrong way round.

I've seen some stuff, me :o)

Can't say I've ever noticed that but I suppose it's entirely possible because new pads are usually an awful lot thicker than the ones which came out.

Not one of my numerous cars has ever needed new discs. Not once.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

If you've got a book you'll be fine then. Go for it!

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Umm.... is an oil filter remover an unsuitable tool? :D It's like a big pair of pliers designer to fit round a filter but is just the right size to work on the piston and back of the calliper and makes it dead easy to push it back in. I took great care not to damage the bellow and only applied enough force to move the piston slowly.

Heh ;)

I had new discs last time (car is 6 years old) because they had warped which caused vibration in the steering under braking. What causes that?

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Spikings
[...]

Sometimes it "just happens", but often the cause is that the discs have been overheated. This can happen if the car is held stationary on the foot brake after a period of heavy braking.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Ah, well I hadn't had the car long at that point ;)

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Spikings