Ford Focus ABS problem

Ford Focus 2001(98-01) 2.0L Rear drum brakes

Hi all, I haven=92t posted before but hope someone out there knows a bit more about this than I do.

My MOT has expired and need to get this problem sorted to pass.

The ABS and Traction control lights are lit. I managed to get the OBDii code read, it identified a dtc for both rear sensors but nothing for the unit.

I hooked some flying multimeter leads into the connector from the sensor into the loom, getting a resistance when I spin the wheel (with ignition off) so thinking that the sensor is ok.

With the ignition on not getting any voltage reading at all, never mind fluctuations when the wheel is spinning.

Suspect a problem with the ABS module not supplying power to the sensors; hope to check it out tomorrow. Any suggestions on the best way trace the fault and any method to test the ABS module?

If anyone thinks I=92m on the wrong track all suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks

Niall

Reply to
niallmgr

you would expect the sensor to produce a small voltage when the wheel is spun (sensor disconnected)

Reply to
Mrcheerful

How to check ABS:

Conor

Thanks for the replies. I'll check them again in the morning, the topbuzz guide is very useful.

AFAIK the sensors are fairly robust, any ideas why two would have failed at the same time?

Would this also explain the lack of voltage in the circuit when everything is connected up?

Thanks for taking the time to reply, the garage that tried to fix it gave up and recommended the local Ford dealership but my student budget doesn't quite stretch that far so I'm just trying to cover all bases before I order up some sensors.

Anyone know any methods of testing the ABS unit?

Thanks

Niall

Reply to
niallmgr

WEll start by checking the fuses, the you'll want to aquire the Ford TIS, which obviously you'll spend all your money on rather than downloading it from a torrent.

Reply to
Duncan Wood