Ford focus - central locking problem (1999 model)

Hi,

I have a 1999 Ford Focus with a central locking problem.

If I press the "lock" button on the key fob - all doors will attempt to lock, but then ping open again (lock and then unlock). And if I press the unlock button on the key fob, only the driver's door unlocks opens.

If I try locking the car from the driver's door lock, the same happens (all try to lock, but then immediately unlock again).

If I lock the car from the passenger door, all locks execute fine - and likewise if I unlock from the passenger door, all doors unlock fine.

If I unlock the car from the driver's door, only the driver's door opens - no others.

Sounds strange, eh?

Any ideas? I'm not *that* bothered, as it's a 10 year old car I'm learning in, so central locking isn't really important for learning to drive... but it's a niggle that if it can be easily or cheaply fixed, I'd like to resolve.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Bill

you need a new drivers door lock assy. (from your description) approx 75 quid plus fitting

Reply to
Mrcheerful

IF you hold down the lock and unlock on the remote for five seconds or so you will get four flashes on the indicators and then the drivers side should unlock and lock everything.

The problem is a worn solenoid in the passengers side that doenst manage to lock the passengers side - the system spots this and then unlocks everything. Lock the car from the inside using the remote whilst pushing the inner handle on the passengers side to locked - this sometimes helps and enourages it to play ball. Sadly though you are looking at a new mechanism before too long.

If you want to disable the central locking the fuse is in the fusebox begind the glovebox but on the *other* side to all fuses....! You have to remove the screws and remove the entire fusebox downwards and on the othe side amove the relays is a single fuse controlling the central locking. Bewars sharp metal edges if you do this.

Reply to
Chris Street