Ford Focus CMax Model comparison - maybe OT?

I'm seriously considering buying a UK spec Focus Cmax 1.6TDCi. I'm trying to decide whether to get the LX or the Zetec model. I am buying for the long term. I tend to keep cars for 10-15 years and do all my own servicing. I am therefore wanting to avoid gimmicky gadgets that might affect basic driving and MOT tests. Non essential gadgets migth be fun to play with and if they stop working then I can still drive the car.

On of the differences is an electric parking brake on the Zetec which is not on the LX. Can anyone tell me quite what this is and how it works. Is it a potential source of unreliability? Why does anyone want an electric parking brake when for the last 50 years or more we have just pulled on a simple ratchet lever - simple and effective.

The extra flexibility of the Zetec seats seem attractive but the alloy wheels are of no interest

I'd be interested in any comments or comparisons between these two models.

This will be my first diesel but I've been impressed by the design of the Peugeot Ford power unit and it seems to be well proven in a number of other vehicles. Again - comments welcome.

TIA

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Unless you need the mini MPV capabilities of the CMAX I would consider a low mileage TDCi. There are less problems with the fuelling system since the previous ones don't have to meet Euro IV and they return better mpg as well.

If you want more info you may want to visit

Chris Street

Bob Minchin ( snipped-for-privacy@OEnewsreader.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Avoid anything built in the last few years like the plague, then. Run several miles from anything with multiplexed electronics, in particular.

Reply to
Adrian

Thanks Chris,

Are there not Cmax's around that are prior to Euro IV compliance? I prefer the larger volume offered by the Cmax.

Tia

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I think all the engines in the CMAX are built to Euro IV. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not dissing Euro IV engines, just Fords versions! There have been reports of some 2.0L ones returning 22-28mpg while my TDDi does

45-50mpg.....

I presume since you are making capacity an issue on a 1.6 TDCI you mean interior room. Estate versions of the previous car no good?

Reply to
Chris Street

Why they bother with the multiplexing... is it really cheaper than extra wires?

Reply to
Tom Burton

Yes, you only need one loom for all the models, etc.. & In theory much easier to trouble shoot & upgrade but that bit of the theory's not caught up with the real world of mechanics.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Tom Burton ( snipped-for-privacy@nospam.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I seem to recall hearing there's several km of wire in a "late-non- multiplexed" big exec car, and the loom weighs about 100kg.

Reply to
Adrian

Cheaper, more reliable, allows lots of neat features, but ties you to the dealer for nearly everything! For example, a certain well-known German car needs a trip to the dealer just to install/enable towbar electrics. DIYers beware!

6 miles - 9.7 km according to a reliable source :-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan