Ford Focus Diesel Stalling at Speed Problem

I would be grateful if someone could shed some light on the following which a friend has with his 2001 diesel Ford Focus, and recommend a solution:

On a recent long motorway journey, the car started losing power, followed by an engine stall. Without slowing down this could be rectified by switching off the ignition and then immediately turning back on again at which point everything was fine again for another four or five miles when the process had to be repeated again. This only happened on motorway at over 60 mph. On local roads at slower speed no problem. At the garage they revved it up while stationary and it was noticed that at about 3000rpm it cut out completely. The garage have had the central control unit checked and this is ok. They have suggested it may be the fuel pump, but he=92d like a bit more certainty before getting this replaced.

Reply to
Steve W

fuel filter would be my first thought, but I have heard of many diesel focus needing a complete new injection pump at about the 100,000 mile mark

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Me too, failure of the pump is quite common on the TDDI engine. They are coded to the PCM also, which means that the car must be put on the IDS machine to get it going with a new pump. :-s

Reply to
Tim..

There is also the possibility that it needs a new crank sensor, and since they are very cheap it may be worth trying. The other question is are you running it on good quality diesel? They do not like bio diesel.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Many thanks for the replies so far. It is definitely just being run on normal diesel.

Reply to
Steve W

e quoted text -

My 02 TDCI Focus did a similar thing, which was on a cold morning and after I replaced the glow plugs recently . I was wandering if the ECU 'remembers' and makes specific allowances for failed glow plugs ? Could the 'limp home' mode event have caused the ECU to relearn it's start up tricks again ? I already checked for disturbed cables/ hoses etc. In my case I think driver error is also a possibility. Since I've got used to driving a second (Petrol ) car I've almost stalled the Focus a few times. From experience this can also cause the same symptom ( flashing glow plug light and uneven running until restart) It wont have much less than 30 MPH in fourth before the ECU slaps your wrist ? Simon

Reply to
mr p

ide quoted text -

well since I'm bored ( and a pessimist that my fault will probably come back ) I did some googling...

.. throttle pedal sensor giving uneven reading, is your fault related to the throttle pedal being fully pressed down or in a particular position ? In my case could be related to lack of use.. like the crackly volume control syndrome you used to get on HIFi amps ? Actually not sure if the tddi has fly by wire throttle ?

If it's this then you can get it replaced

Reply to
mr p