Ford Focus - dual mass flywheel questions

Over in uk.rec.cars.misc I asked about recommended family cars and ended up being recommended the Focus Zetec, with a number of people recommending the TDCi. After some homework, we seem pretty happy with getting a Focus Zetec - just trying to nail down which engine, age, mileage etc (oh, and actually drive one!)

Whilst searching around about this car, I came across a number of people who have had dual mass flywheel failures with replacement being very expensive (best part of £1k). Some people have even had 2 failures within a year or so and with quite moderate mileage. Reading on the Ford Focus Owner's Club website, it almost sounds like it's an expected thing!

Are these failures actually that common, or are they a case of the vocal few making it sound worse than it is? I'm well aware that people who don't have problems tend to be less noticeable/quieter than those who have had problems - but looking back on the faults we've had with our

306, most are 'common problems' which you read about online, which makes me wary when I read about problems with the Focus.

Does the petrol versions have a dual mass flywheel? For some reason I'm liking and siding towards the 1.8 TDCi (never had a diesel before though), but with our current mileage (average 11k per year over the last 6 years) and the 'official' combined mpg - when considering the current 4p/litre premium for diesel and the extra premium for the diesel vedrsion, it doesn't look like the fuel saving would be much compared to our 1.4 306 which has averaged us 36mpg over the last year and I don't exactly drive to conserve fuel.

Advice?

Thanks

David

Reply to
David Hearn

You'll find DMF's on most new diesels. There is a kit for the Focus that uses a standard flywheel instead, but it won't be as smooth.

Reply to
Pete M

Yep, you can use the Non-DMF flywheel and clutch from the TDdi as a replacement.

Tim. .

Reply to
Tim..