Ford Focus - Jack and Jacking Points problem

Hi

This is a bit embarrassing, but here goes.

I've just got a 2nd hand Ford Focus (1.6 Zetec, 51 reg). Daft as it sounds, I can't work out how to jack it up. Here are the problems:

  1. The 'Owner's Guide' says the jacking points are identified by 'small indentations near the sill'; these are shown on a diagram. But my car hasn't got any indentations.

2 I've tried fitting the jack where I think the jacking points should be (where there's an extra vertical piece of metal welded to the inside of the sill), but the top-plate of the jack is hinged and spring-loaded; this makes it impossible align the groove in the top-plate with the seam .

3 The plastic trim running along the bottom of the sill projects below the bottom of the metal seam. I think it will be crushed if I use the jack.

I've had a number of cars before and never had a problem working out how to jack them up. I can't believe Ford would make one of it's most popular models difficult to jack up, so I presume I'm cracking up or missing something very simple.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers Steve

Reply to
Steve

they are about 200mm in from front and back , looks like a small intentation

Reply to
steve robinson

It has. You just can't see them :-)

It will. And they are 25 quid.

There are two removable covers per side on the underside of those cars with plastic sill covers. The tabs have to be pressed together to release them. You will then see the metal seam with the notch.

Actually, they are something that often doesn't get replaced; this makes jacking easier but rather defeats the object of protecting the sills!

For future reference you might want to have a look here:

alt.autos.ford.focus

HTH

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

quite often people use a normal jack on these seams and they get crushed start to rust, bit of a ford weak area...

Reply to
mike

I don't like to use the holes in the side under the sills. So often they crunch with the strain and do damage. Buy a trolley jack and jack it under some strong cross member/box section or suspension that is designed to take plenty of weight. I suppose if its an emergency and you are changing a wheel, then there is no choice, but for maintenance, I would never use the jack that comes with the car. I don't feel safe without axle stands either.

Graham

Reply to
Graham

Thanks chaps. Still can't find any indentations (are they in the metalwork hidden behind the plastic sill cover? - that would be crazy) or removable covers (or places where removable covers should be).

However I measured 200mm from wheel arch (thanks Steve), put jack there with edge of jack's top plate against the inside of the seam, let the jack's top plate align itself (it pivots as the jack is raised) as it seemed to work OK.

A piece of poor design and instructions.

Steve

. .

Reply to
Steve