Ford focus mpg the meter

My 51 reg Ford focus didn't come equipped with a MPG meter, the position where it would normally be on the dashboard is blanked off, is this something which can be retrofitted [i.e. a vacant socket on the ecu which one can be plugged into] if so does anyone have an idea of what sort of cost I would be looking at?

TIA Ivan

Reply to
Ivan

This was dicussed at length some time ago on the ffoc website and i believe that it is possible- you will find the wiring plug taped to the loom in most cars- it must be a Zetec model or higher and the plug is tricky to find as its hard to get at the loom.

Secondly, you will need a friendly dealer to re-flash the ECU with software for a Fuel computer equiped car to enable it.

For the Low washer fluid and outside temp gauge to work you need those relevant parts also.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Thanks Tim, the engine is a 1.8 endura DI turbo diesel, I had hoped that it may have been a relatively straightforward plug in option, which IMV would have been a very useful addition in light of the way things are now panning out on the fuel price front. Perhaps it's feature that should be made a 'compulsory' fit on all new vehicles from now on.

Reply to
Ivan

You're off the mark here. You don't need a trip computer to help you be economical as there are other ways; changing your driving over the medium term is an easier and more effective way than chasing a consumption gauge. Better yet - want to reduce your fuel consumption by 20%? Commute to work on four days of the week and not five (as a very simple example)...

I'd rather people don't have the extra distraction of watching a meter go up and down.

Reply to
DervMan

You may have a valid point there, but in a similar vein for quite a while I've harboured this idea about an electronic device connected to ones gas and electricity meters which at a specific time of day would flash a brief message on to the main TV screen, it could say something along the lines of 'Mr. Dervman today you have used £8.00 worth of electricity and £6.00 worth of gas, I can't honestly think a of better incentive that would most likely make you do some mental arithmetic concerning the price of your next fuel bills, and in all probability spurring you on to try and conserve your usage to see if you had achieved better when the following days message came up.

Reply to
Ivan

Good idea, maybe, except electric and gas bills are not the same (for many people) because we are billed monthly or quarterly; with petrol or diesel, we are billed when we buy the stuff before use. I tend to fill the tank every five or six days, so I notice an increase of say £50 to £65 or so...

Reply to
DervMan

This may sound like I'm paranoid, but I'm now keeping my [diesel] fuel tank topped up to the brim, just in case I wake up one morning to find that some f****it or other has decided bomb Iran, in which case I would probably be able to eke out a few weeks of use for 'essential' journeys only without the risk of being shot whilst queuing up for fuel:o)

|| The DervMan ||

Ivan

Yes. Paranoia. If your diesel is able to run on vegetable oil, may I suggest stocking up on that too?

Reply to
DervMan

SNIP

SNIP

It seems strange that you want to move your eyes off the road to look at a meter. I calculate mpg at the diesel pump: Last time for my 51 reg 1.9 Zetec: 635 miles, 9.75 gallons 65mpg. Pete

Reply to
goodolpete

SNIP

SNIP

It seems strange that you want to move your eyes off the road to look at a meter. I calculate mpg at the diesel pump: Last time for my 51 reg 1.9 Zetec: 635 miles, 9.75 gallons 65mpg. Pete

***

It's strange that there hasn't been a 1.9 Zetec...

Reply to
DervMan