FORD FOCUS - NO START - IMMOBILIZER PROBLEM? (2023 Update)

Last night I stopped outside a shop returned to my car 5 minutes later and it would not start, all electrics came on but the starter motor wouldn't turn and there were no noises coming from under the bonnet at all, I checked a few fuses etc but everythign seemed ok so I left the car and got a taxi home, I returned to the car this morning and it started 1st time, I've been driving about in the car for about 3 hours and eventually got home, a few minutes ago I jumped back into it to go to the shops and once again absolutely nothing is happening when I try to turn the engine over -all electrics are working, battery power is fine, it's as though something is stopping the ignition signal getting through to the starter motor, I tried my spare key and that gicves the same results so I suppose the keys are fine, could the ECU be knackered?

TIA.

Reply to
Ursula

It would be unusual for an ECU to have an intermittent fault. Much more likely to be the starter motor or circuit to it. You need someone with the right skills to test when the fault is present.

Perhaps it may be worth asking in alt.autos.ford.focus?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Does the red immob light flash rapidly when the ignition is turned on?

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

Diesel or petrol? Engine size and type?

Reply to
Chris Street

The engines in the US ones are different. You may want to try

Chris Street

Have you got any large lumps of metal (big keys, metal fobs etc) on the keyring with the ignition key? They could be preventing the PATS signal from getting from the key to the ignition.

Next time this happens try taking the key off the ring and use it just on its own.

Good luck!

Tony

Reply to
Tony Brett

I wouldn't - they're probably too busy ;)

Reply to
Marvin The Mouse

One other thing - if the ignition lock sees a key in it without getting a PATS signal the ignition will lock out for 30 minutes so although you appear to be having the same problem with the spare key, it might just be that you are trying during the lock-out period.

Tony

Reply to
Tony Brett

If the PATS system doesn't recognise the key for some reason (either a faulty key, or unprogrammed key), it locks out. It will stay locked out until a working programmed key is used, and the ignition turned on for 2minutes. After the 2 minute period is up, you've got to turn the ignition off before attempting to start the vehicle.

This fault would be apparent by the PATS LED flashing. If the immobilizer is working, when you first turn the ignition on, the PATS LED will light continuously for a couple seconds before going out. It'll then stay off until after the immobilizer is reactivated (aprox. 10 secs after ignition has been turned off).

The PATS system could quite quickly be checked for faults with diagnostic equipment, but in the absense of that, I'd be checking to make sure the starter is working correctly, and is getting all the feeds it should be getting.

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

Thanks for your replies guys, it turned out to be a faulty ignition relay under the dash.

Reply to
Ursula

?
Reply to
Chris Whelan

alt.autos.ford.focus has about twice as many posts from Europe compared to US. A lot of the tips there have been cribbed from Usenet...

The member's zone is currently down for site redevelopment, so access to the forums is not possible.

HTH

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I've been posting on there in the last five minutes though.....

Reply to
Chris Street

replying to Ursula, Neil wrote: Hi I had the same problem check the wiring going to the Ecu you.ll find it has burnt through and not making a good connection think it was the blue wire going to Ecu worth a look

Reply to
Neil

Just 10 years too late to be any use to anyone.

It will be in the crusher by now.

Reply to
Peter Hill

********** [snip]

posted from

using MotorsForum's Web, Mobile and Social Media Interface to uk.rec.cars.maintenance and other automotive groups

*********

Obviously a cracking bit of software. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

replying to Ursula, Samt9352 wrote: How do you go about gettin that fixed I have same problem

Reply to
Samt9352

Ha ha! As it's 10 years after her problem it's a bit hopeful that she's still following this thread!

Post a new message explaining your problem (with make/model/year) and you might get some help.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

replying to Sandy Nuts, DtheV wrote: I have exactly the same problem, the red immobiliser light keeps flashing & wont go out, tried both jets & checked & cleaned fuses, even tried to fuel cut off inside drivers door but was nothing wrong with it, any ideas ?

Reply to
DtheV

3amp fuse f30 in the under bonnet fuse box.
Reply to
Mrcheerful