Ford Galaxy Heater problems - any clues?

Hi everyone,

Hope someone can help here. I have a 2002 Ford Galaxy TDi, and lately on starting the heater LCD display flashes - no error codes, just flashes on and off - and the heater is very under-powered, and that's not acceptable coming into the bad weather where I need to keep the screen clear!

The car has air con, so I don't know if it needs recharging or is there's something more serious.

Being the biggest cynic in the world, I hate to wander into the dealership without an idea of what it might be, so can anyone think what this might be caused by?

Many thanks in advance.

Dave.

Reply to
I_Guy

I know, bad form to reply to my own post!

I should say that when I start the engine, the heater display flashes for maybe 5 - 10 seconds then appears as normal, but the heater is under-powered and very noisy all the time.

Reply to
Dave

A flashing Climate Control means the Air Con Gas needs recharging & most likely it has not been used every month to circulate or has a leak as with our '52' Plate Galaxy Ghia

Reply to
A C

Thanks, I was hoping it was just that!

Reply to
Dave

Flashing is most likley the air con needing regassed, but that shouldn't affect the power of the heater.

I'm guessing by noisy, you mean a whirling/scraping/screeching kind of noise? If it is, it's most likely a fault with the blower motor. Chances are it's seized slightly, and isn't spinning as fast as it should.

Reply to
M Cuthill

Thanks.

No, more like a WW II bomber on take off. The heater does seem powerful, just not AS powerful as it should be, and the noise is dreadful. More like a deep drone than anything.

If so, easily fixable or expensive, potentially?

Reply to
Dave

Certainly sounds like a failing blower motor.

Haven't got a clue. I try and avoid Galaxy's/Sharans/Seat badged model (can't remember the name!), as most jobs on them usually involved being triple jointed, or having extremely long skinny arms. If I remember, I'll check at work on monday for the standard time.

Reply to
M Cuthill

Does the sound carry on after the engine has been switched off?

As they have a electric pump mounted on the bulkhead in the engine compartment for the rear heater & ours is very noisy.

Reply to
A C

Reply to
alanf

Standard time for a 2000 model is 0.4hrs, so changing it must be a relatively straight forward job.

Reply to
M Cuthill