Ford Galaxy (OLD Model) TDI Intermittent Windscreen Wiper problem

Hello,

I have an old model TDI Galaxy Zetec model and lately the windscreen wipers don't seem to want to work very well when its wet - great eh!!

Took it into the main dealers and they couldn't get it to fail!!

Sometimes they work well and other times they will start to move then stop and refuse to do anything for a few minutes and then finish there sweep and go back to normal.

Is there a relay involved in this circuit or do I look at the motor as causing the problem?

Any help gratefully accepted.

Thanks, Woodsy

Reply to
Woodsy

these have a known wiper motor problem, costs 500 quid to fix, apparently (see honestjohn website).

Reply to
mrcheerful

The message from "mrcheerful ." contains these words:

Ye gods. Is that just 'cos the motor's expensive or 'cos it's 50p but under eight hours labour worth of gubbins?

Reply to
Guy King

autodata says 0.6 hours, so it must be a dear motor, apparently first symptom is they won't turn off. My guess is that the internal corrosion they suffer causes them to get stiff and eventually burn out. If (god forbid) I had one then I would strip the whole lot, clean and rebuild it (motor and linkage) before buying any bits.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

The wiper motor is a common fault, but I'm pretty sure they're not that expensive.

Reply to
M Cuthill

I did that with a 156 wiper motor. Managed to keep it going for another

12 months before it got excessively noisy and had to be replaced by a good used one.

I read in something like 'Car Mechanics' that the Shalhamaxy wiper motor is bloody expensive (they have one as a project car - ex minicab with something like 250k miles on it)

Reply to
SteveH

yep 0.6 sounds about right. one came into our place just last week,i didnt do the job, but helped him check the wiring,that ended up needing a motor(cost of part appox 270 plus VAT) when looking at the wiring diagrams, theres more to it than just a motor, its got power holding capacitors built into the unit.

Reply to
ford_technical_

The message from "mrcheerful ." contains these words:

£450 for a not particularly large electric motor is taking the piss. I suppose they'll claim it's "out of production" or some crap.
Reply to
Guy King

befor replacing the wiper motor! try a squirt of WD40 down the wiper spindles and see if that helps? if it does then strip out the wiper mech then clean and relube the spindles in the shafts and see how you go? this probably the most common failure of wipers on the galaxy! and will only cost a few quid to put right! well that and a few skinned knuckles!

Reply to
alanf

Yeah, they are!!

The same motor for the Alhambra from a Seat dealer is about 40quid cheaper though.- buy it there.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

The spindles that the wiper arms themselves connect to seize up, this in turn eventually knackers the motor. Your average clueless mechanic replaces motor without checking anything else and as it's a new motor it's a bit more powerful so everything works for another few months until it all grinds to a halt again.

Take the whole motor and wiper linkage assembly out, remove motor and then try to move linkage, chances are you can't. You can try lubing the spindles but they're often too far gone. If so it's off to Fords with

220odd quid for a new linkage. Just be thankful you haven't been stitched up for a new motor as well.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

Hi, Ive just had a similar problem, but when i dismantled the mechanism, the round cog that drives the central arm, thus all of the mechanism (dont know the fancy name for it!) was not seized, but worn down. Dont know if this is a bi-product of the arms seizing up, but i'm currently looking for a second hand whole mechanism, cant afford a new one, and the motor appears fine.Does anyone have an old one hanging around that i can buy off them?

steve

John Greystr> > Hello,

Reply to
scousesteve2003