Ford Galaxy, white smoke possible turbo problem

My brother has a 2litre galaxy, which has developed a smoking problem, which is getting worse, it started smoking when first started up and then stopped after a few minutes, and once warmed up there was no problem, this is now getting worse, but still isnt as bad once warm, we have been told that it is possibly the turbo, but want to find out first b4 paying loads of money [was quoted about =A3660.] there is no loss of power, and doesnt run on when turned off [although it did once] we took the large pipe off that runs through the bottom of the radiator to the turbo [some sort of cooler is it] and there was alot of oil in there, is there anywhere else the oil could be getting in there, besides out of the turbo [which I think is oil cooled is it] we were told the possibility of a blockage in the pipes somewhere which if blocked could be drawing the oil from the sump? is that possible,

Reply to
richat

A few more details about the Galaxy would be helpful i.e. Year, VW PD TDi & BHP

I presume its a 1.9 VW PD TDi & white smoke would indicate a turbo failure, its quite common. The large pipe is the intercooler & yes they do have a coating of oil in them

The oil return pipe can get blocked & then the turbo sucks the oil out of the engine & out the exhaust, which is the smoke you see

You can get recon'ed Garrett Turbo for around £150 + Fitting

If the turbo does fail (loads of smoke/no power) stop using it immediately as we tried to get of the motorway when ours died & ended up destroying a 6m/30k miles engine that was luckily covered under the warranty with Ford

Reply to
A C

necessary. Would the oil return pipe getting blocked be as a result of the = turbo being no good, or is there any filters etc that may need changing, or= is there a possibility that unblocking the pipe may cure the problem witho= ut replacing the turbo. Thanks very much for your reply

Reply to
richat

Well, your right to be worried, your bother should stop smoking it increases the risk on lung cancer, get him to try some nicotine patches.

Reply to
unit244

Hes tried them but says they taste horrible?

Reply to
richat