Ford KA battery....polarity?

Hey all,

I've removed my girlfriends flat battery from her Ford KA, connected it up to my car battery charger and there is a little light indicating "reverse polarity" and it refuses to charge. The leads from the charger are definately connected to the correct battery posts. The battery is 2 years old (the same age as the car) and I've never had it out before.

Any ideas what might be wrong? Btw. the charger is pretty new too, it's only been used once before and without any previous problems.

Many thanks, Rob

Reply to
robdeja

Yep, you've connected it the wrong way round & blown the fuse.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Thanks for the reply but this is not the problem as I've changed the fuse - I too first thought this was the issue.

Duncan Wood wrote:

Reply to
robdeja

Well if somebodys tryed to jump start it the wrong way round & back polarised the battery it might be telling the truth, otherwise the chargers blown its rectifier. Buy a £5 Maplin multimeter & check the batterys got +v on the +terminal.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

It's not utterly impossible that the charger has the leads on the wrong way round. Is this the Lidl (or was it Aldi) charger? If it is, then it won't charge if the battery is reversed, but will suffer no damage. I'd try connecting a small bulb to the battery, and see if it brightens when the charger is connected the 'right' way round.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Never a bad idea, I think I'm going to give everyone I know one for Christmas next year. :-)

Reply to
Vim Fuego