Ford KA Door Wiring Loom

I guess this one must have come up before as it's a known prob with the old KA's . A couple of the wires have severed in the door loom and the drivers electric window and speaker don't work . Unfortunately the elec window one has gone right at the end so I'm having difficulty joining it back etc. so looks like I'll have to shell out for a new loom .... I had to cut the rubber boot to expose wires anyway ( had the same problem on other door but got away with joining wires & taping up boot etc. However I cannot see how loom connects at the door end ( thro grommet ? ) The pillar end is easy as it is just a multi plug ..... Does it have to be fed under door card to various switches etc. ? Also how much does a replacement loom cost & do I have to get it from Ford main agent ?

Any help most appreciated Thanks

Reply to
topo

I'm not familiar with the KA in particular, but usually you would need to remove the door panel and disconnect all the connectors and cable ties inside the door and pull the loom out through the grommet. If you can get a soldering iron it might be possible to solder a wire onto what's left of the wire in the multiplug. John

Reply to
John

Had the usual connector problem with mine and its common. Designed for ease of manufacture and assembly, not durability!

When I looked at the cost of replacing the whole door loom, which is the Ford route, it was about £60 plus fitting. The pins on the connector were corroded away and would have needed repair on the car side as well. Ford sell a kit, I think.

I didn't consider the cost was worthwhile to replace a failed system with one that would simply fail again and just removed the connectors and joined all the wires through the rubber boot. Its a bit of a squeeze. The car and door looms don't colour match and you need take care or have the relevant wiring diagram.

Waiting for the other connector to fail now.

Reply to
JohnB-UK

Pretty well any loom can be repaired - even although it might mean new crimp connectors in the multiplug to do the job properly. And I'd guess rather more cheaply than buying a new one complete. For all the bits including the correct wire have a look at :-

Dave Plowman (News)

Maplin sell contact grease in aerosols - ideal for waterproofing and preventing corrosion inside multipole connectors.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

replying to topo, John Pascall wrote: I am having difficulty joining the connector from the door to the "a post", do the pins bend and go out of line?

Reply to
John Pascall

replying to John, John Pascall wrote: I have repaired the wiring between the "a" post and the door the problem I am having is rejoining the harness to the plug on the "a" post panel.

Reply to
John Pascall

replying to JohnB-UK, John Pascall wrote: Thank you for your help just not robust enough typical Ford!

Reply to
John Pascall

After eight and a half years, I'm sure the OP will appreciate your thanks.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+