ford KA tappets

Hi Comming back here with more info this time re-KA tappet settings:

Engine number: TY03424.

1st regestered: 30/04/1997

1.3c/c

Hope this helps me obtain correct settings (hot or cold?), for my granddaughter's car.

T.I.A.

Terry

Reply to
Terry

they are all the same, just as you were told before: inlet 0.2 exhaust 0.3 mm cold engine

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Thank you....I had been missinformed by someone suggesting it depends what year of car as to the settings.!!

Reply to
Terry

Not according to Autodata. In any case, they are always so rattly and worn that precise valve clearances are academic. Get them as close as you can and use a fresh gasket, change the oil and filter.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Reply to
Terry

years ago when i had a renault five, a renault mechanic said to reduce the valve clearence one thou for every ten thousand miles. would that be generally applicable?

Reply to
johngood_____

not really. the valve clearance affects the valve timing, a reduced clearance can make a substantial difference to the opening/closing/duration. mind you on a worn engine perhaps there will not be a noticeable (to the driver) change. some engines only have a few thou clearance in the first place, they would go into negative numbers .

Most important too is what happens when the engine is hot. most clearances are set cold. some engines will have the gap reduce when hot, if you start with a smaller gap then the valve may be held open a little when hot.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

more regular oil changes help a lot on this little engine

Reply to
Tommy