Ford Ka Warning Light

2002 Ka yellow engine warning light came on flashing while on the motorway, car seeming to run a little rough. Stopped at service station, driver and car cooled down, continued the last 20 miles of the journey and the light no longer came on.

Googling suggests it may be the engine management system, possibly running too rich or coil problem. I've advised the driver to call the AA (she's a member) as engine damage may be in store (harm the cat or some such?), or if she can't be bothered (likely), drive the 200 miles home at a casual rate and I'll have a look.

Not that I can do much, but I've got an OBD reader.

About right?

Reply to
RJH

Took it to a local garage - coil pack. £28.70 parts plus £30 labour plus £30 for reading the code.

Rob

Reply to
RJH
[...]

That's a good result for not much money!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Not bad!

In fairness it's been a remarkable car.

It costs very little to put right on the few occasions it goes wrong. The owners have done nothing except fuel it in the 3 years/30000 miles of ownership. Not even cleaning. The bonnet had actually stuck closed and had been that way for 6 months ('from memory') when I tried to check the pitifully low oil/water.

And it's good to drive.

Reply to
RJH

My coil pack on my Focus packed up the day before I need the car for a long journey and the Ford dealership was the first place I found that could take it in at short notice.

Essex Ford charged me £80 for reading the code, £80 for labour, around £30 for the coil pack and £4 each for the spark plugs. I suspect that they started up the car, immediately diagnosed a faulty coil pack and then spent less than half and hour fixing it.

On going on the Internet afterwards many people reported £100 to £120 repair charge for the same fault - but a few beat my price from "Southern" dealerships.

If the spark plugs were not replaced on the Kia I would be recommend that they are.

Reply to
alan