Ford key dupication

Just bought an N reg Mondeo, and with it came 1 red key. I need another key.

Can I just go to the local key cutter, or are red Ford keys transponder keys, and I need to go to the dealer? If so, any guesstimates at cost?

Thanks, Paul

Reply to
Paul

In message , Paul writes

Well it does have an immobiliser transponder but the good news is that you have the master red key and others can be programmed from that.

Have a look at this excellent site for Mondeo stuff with info on how to program them yourself.

think you have key type 7.
down to the Pats programming section.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

The message from "Paul" contains these words:

The red key is the one you never use to drive the car! It's the one you use to programme other keys, and if you lose it you're looking at a large bill and a lot of inconvenience.

Your local keycutter should be able to provide a black transponder key. Read the manual for how to programme the new key - which involves the red key.

Then put the red key away somewhere safe and don't use it again till you next need a new black key.

Reply to
Guy King

Thank the lord! You need the red key to code others yourself, which thankfully you have!

Have 2 new standard black keys cut using the red as a pattern by a lock smith, then using the red one, insert into ignition and cycle it 3 times from off to position II. Switching back off on the 3rd time the red LED should remain lit on the clock. You have 10 seconds to insert one of the new black keys and turn to position II. The LED should blink and then go off. Repeat with the other black, then store the red key somewhere safe and do not use it.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

I always wonder what the 'ell people do to lose all their keys (which I presume is the only reason to be left with just the red one.) Or does it not occur to them that the car actually came with more than one key in the first place when they come to sell it?

Argh!

Reply to
Scott M