Ford lock/key/immobiliser advice needed please!

My sons' 1997 Fiesta came with a black and a red key. I understand that the red key can be used to program the immobiliser chip in replacement black keys.

The drivers door lock and boot lock are both dodgy, even after lubrication. I bought a complete new lock set (both doors, ignition, boot and petrol cap) on eBay with the intention of using the new locks but matching them to the old keys (having done this before on a Sierra door lock).

I'm just wondering what my options are, because it looks like the petrol cap lock isn't dismantleable, and hence it might be difficult to match the locks to the old keys. It will certainly be a right faff matching them all.

I am thinking that it might be a better option to replace all the locks but I'm not sure if I will be able to re-program the immobiliser chips in the new keys.

Once I have replaced the ignition lock, I will not be able to use the old red key in the ignition to program the new black keys to the immobiliser. However, the new locks came with a 'T' key, which does not have an immobiliser chip. So I figure if I use the 'T' key to carry out the programming sequence for the new keys, but with the old red key in close proximity, it should work.

Can anyone confirm this or offer alternative suggestions?

Thanks Biggles (Removing packing from my e-mail address before replying by e-mail)

Reply to
Biggles

One of the best routes is to buy a complete matched lock set. Fit your chip into the new keys.

if the original keys are not too worn then code new door locks to match, that way the only odd key will be the petrol cap.

Otherwise buy a fuel cap barrel with two keys, recode the door locks to match this and retain the original key for ign and tailgate. (the reason for this is that the original keys may be very worn, this way you get the door locks with new keys, which are the quickest wearing bits) Yes you have two keys, but that is not too onerous really.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

No - you don't program the keys, you program the immobiliser in the car to accept the keys. The things in the keys are simply RFIDs.

Tony

Reply to
Tony Brett

OK, I stand corrected but that doesn't get me any closer to a solution - can I use the new locks/keys and program the new keys to the immobiliser using the T key in the ignition and the keeping the old red key in close proximity to the ignition for the first stage of the programming process?

Thanks Biggles Remove packaging from my e-mail before replying

Reply to
Biggles

/you could, but

what about just taking the sender out of the old key and inserting it into the new?

Reply to
Mrcheerful