Ford losing the plot

I am just servicing an 07 fusion with the 1.4 duratorq (what a gutless noisy little thing)

Anyway, Ford parts prices:

Oil retail 32 quid for 5 litres Oil filter 12.96 (and awkward and dirty to change) Air filter 15.85 (delightfully easy to change, but why so dear)

I cannot see why their prices have gone so high in recent months/models.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Been living under a rock?

Reply to
David Taylor

The fusion is a low end cheap car. The oil filter for my Lexus (high end expensive car) is just over half the price of the ford filter.

You cannot tell me that Ford produce so few parts they are hand crafted by Tahitian virgins and therefore cost a lot, if anything Ford bits should be dirt cheap on the basis of local high volume production..

Ford are taking advantage.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I'm not trying to tell you that, I'm saying...

Of course. New car sales are not doing well, so they obviously would like to extract as much money as possible out of the closest thing they've got to a captive market.

Reply to
David Taylor

You've been screwed - I pay just over half that.

See above.

Reply to
Conor

No, read the words, I didn't pay that, that is the retail price that the customer is charged. My point is that the genuine bits are outrageously expensive at retail compared to the status of the car (cheap shopping car)

Mrcheerful

Reply to
Mrcheerful

If you think that's bad, you want to have seen what Lada and Proton charge. Cars are cheap as f*ck but genuine parts are horrific.

If an extra £10 per 10,000 miles is an issue, you couldn't afford the car in the first place.

Reply to
Conor

but why are lexus parts (for instance) about half the cost of ford parts, it just makes no sense. many punters are extremely mean about parts, they will just neglect the servicing, this then degrades the cars and gives them a worse image. 12 quid odd for a small paper oil filter is price couging in the extreme.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

You need to round on your dealer on these prices!

All will give at least a 20% discount. I usually manage 30% on mine.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Yes, I do get a discount, my point is that the retail prices of ordinary servicing items for a current mass production small saloon are absolutely ludicrous, and with no justification.

genuine Service bits like cam belts and filters for my Ferrari are cheaper than for a Fiesta !, likewise Lexus bits, if they can do it why can't Ford ?

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Think about the difference in purchase price for equivalent models.

Reply to
Conor

Bollocks. £60 is sod all nowadays.

Reply to
Conor

Good question, how much discount do Ferrari give?

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Yes, that is correct. Its because theres only a few places that make OE parts and Fraud will have contracts with them. Next time (!) you buy a replacement airbag for a late 90's Fiesta or Escort, just think that Fraud paid my old co. just over £12 for it. I bet thats less than you pay them!

Reply to
Brad Thrust

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Mrcheerful" saying something like:

They've seen the PC printer pricing model work so well for years, they decided to get into the action.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I have no idea, I am only talking about retail.

I used to buy genuine ford parts are they were reasonably priced, very local and of consistent quality, now I shall give them a miss and take my chances at the factors, I can add more profit and still charge the customer less.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

You don't have the phone numbers of these Tahitian virgins by any chance, do you? They must be pretty rare.

Rob Graham

Reply to
robgraham

They still are cheap. Many service items for my car are cheaper from Ford than from the motor factors unless I want to use really cheap s**te.

Reply to
Conor

And? Welcome to the capitalism.

Reply to
Conor

A mate of mine brought a 1984 Ferrari from Italy, before he could register it in the UK it needed UK spec headlamps, The cost of the headlamps, a timing belt, oil and air filters came to around £200!! , he was more than a bit surprised!

Des

Reply to
Dieseldes