Ford Mondeo

Hi.I am having problems with my front screen wash on my 2001 Ford Mondeo Zetec. When I depress the stalk for the front wash the pump motor does not run.It works fine on the rear window.At first I thought it was the wiper stalk itself but I have spent all afternoon gaining access to the motor.I have a little electrical experience and this is what I have found.

  1. I disconnected the multi plug from the washer motor and when the correspondant buttons where depressed I received 12 volts to earth from each connection in turn.This I thought pointed at a faulty motor so I bought a new motor only to have the same problem !!!
  2. I then tested the original pump via wires direct from the battery onto the pump connections then reversed the polarities.Both ways worked the pump fine. (The pump has two water outlet ports ,one for the front and one for the rear screen).

Scratching my head now..Any ideas would be appreciated

Thanks

Reply to
gazzer

Hmm... see if you still get the 12v on each terminal with the motor reconnected. I would guess at a high resistance switch or connection somewhere.

Lee

Reply to
Lee

Lee wrote in news:Xiylh.2892$696.2818@newsfe7- win.ntli.net:

Seconded. Always test with the load connected if at all possible, this way you will find out any poor connections due to the volt drop. If you can't make contact with the pins when the plug is in, get a couple of small sewing needles and push them into the wires. They will pierce the insulation without doing any significant damage. Then you can use them as temporary connection points. You may need to use a flat bladed screwdriver to push the needles in, unless you have extremely calloused thumbs ;-)

Stu

Reply to
Stu

Stu

Thanks for the reply .I have had to put the car back together for the night but will try again tomorrow.The pump only has 2 pins and I can,t grasp how the circuit works with them both being a live supply albeit singular depending on which button is pressed...i.e. front wash pressed>>>12 volts from one terminal to earth,,,the other button pressed>>>12 volts from one terminal to earth as if the opposite wire acts as a neutral somehow ???then switchs the other way???? Anyway I will try again tomorrow, weather permitting.Thanks Gazzer

Stu wrote:

Reply to
gazzer

Hi Lee

Thanks for the reply .I have had to put the car back together for the night but will try again tomorrow.The pump only has 2 pins and I can,t grasp how the circuit works with them both being a live supply albeit singular depending on which button is pressed...i.e. front wash pressed>>>12 volts from one terminal to earth,,,the other button pressed>>>12 volts from one terminal to earth as if the opposite wire acts as a neutral somehow ???then switchs the other way???? Anyway I will try again tomorrow, weather permitting.Thanks Gazzer

Lee wrote:

Reply to
gazzer

"gazzer" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@k21g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Because it's a DC motor, you reverse the direction by simply changing the polarity. So the front washer circuit will supply power one way and the rear one will do the opposite. In either case, if you measure across both wires you should still see approx 12v. A mechanical valve will move inside the pump, depending on which way the motor turns, to block off the unused outlet. I once had the valve fail on me - the pump still worked but when I operated the windscreen wash, the water came from the rear window jet instead of the front!

Stu

Reply to
Stu

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Hi,

Looking at the wiring diagram, (Mondeo 2001 on), it appears that the polarity to the pump is reversed for "rear" wash - If I'm reading the diagram properly, it looks like pin 1 should be 12v and pin 2 ground for "front wash" and reversed (pin 2 12v pin 1 ground) for "rear" wash. If I'm reading it correctly, and I may not be! ;) the 12v for the "rear" wash is provided by module "A112" and not by the switch. If the pump runs for "rear" but not "front", then possibly the switch itself is suspect?

Lee

Reply to
Lee

Doh, switch isn't linked, so that bit ^^^^^ is wrong ;) :)

If you are sure that the pump spins is both directions when connected to a battery, but not when operating the switch, then check the switch...

Lee

Reply to
Lee

Corrosion on the connector terminals. Get the voltage but high resistance. Try it with a test light. You may find that even though the DVM shows a voltage, the test lamp won't light or will be dim.

Reply to
Conor

Hi Lee

Where are you look> gazzer wrote: