Ford Puma 1998 1.7i ABS and SPEEDO PROBLEM HELP!!

Hi guys,

I'm new here but really need some help!!!

I haven't been driving my Puma much but now that an MOT is due a couple of things have just gone wrong with it and I don't know how or why it happened!

First thing - the speedo doesn't work when I set off, only when I get to above 25mph does it start working! Then it's fine until I get down to 10mph when it dies again until I get above 25mph!!

Secondly, my ABS light and (i think it's tyre pressure light or maybe it's the traction control light!!) have both come on!! Any idea what this could be?

I have a 1998 Ford Puma 1.7i.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Reply to
farrukhx

A wheel speed sensor is either faulty, or the ABS sensor ring has broken up. Either way, both faults are caused by the same problem.

Reply to
moray

Thanks!! I just needed to know what parts to get hold of before I go to my mechanic (he doesn't get parts!!).

I might as well get both parts.

Are these problems related to the speedo, abs and the traction control light?

Thanks again! :)

Reply to
farrukhx

Yes. The speedo takes a signal from one of the ABS wheel speed sensors, so if that particular sensor fails, you loose the speedo, ABS and Traction Control. The problem is knowing what corner is causing the problem, as I'm not sure what sensor the speedo uses, and have no means of checking as I'm not at work this week. At a guess, I'd say the nearside front.

Without access to any tools, I'd check the sensor rings on the front driveshafts to make sure they're secure (I can't remember if they're machined into the driveshaft or pressed on) and havn't corroded away to nothing. Also check that there's no big bits of metal stuck on the ABS sensors themselves. If all that looks ok, then disconnect each sensor in turn, go for a drive and see if the speedo has stopped working all together. When the speedo stops working, you've found the wheel giving the problem.

It's then a case of deciding if it's a faulty sensor, or the sensor ring (which comes as part of the drive shaft)

Reply to
moray

First guess would be the road speed sensor on the gearbox. A diagnostic test is the best bet though.

Reply to
MrCheerful

Thanks guys for all your help. I had a diagnostic run on it and it's apparently the farside ABS sensor ring that's faulty. Hopefully won't be too difficult to get a hold of and repair! :)

Reply to
farrukhx